Which Alt is which

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badhabit

Reaction score
I've been part of this discussion in the past and to this date have never had a solid answer. I was told again today that WLP 036 and Wyeast 1007 are the "same yeast, from the same brewery in Dusseldorf" I don't know and have tried to find out even asking at most, and all of the larger or better known Alt breweries in Dusseldorf. Does anyone know for sure what the truth is. I know this, they sure don't act the same and IMHO do not taste the same. I would very much like to know from which brewery if anyone knows.

I have seen the Mr. Malty comparison before and attempted to confirm with the author that the listing of he comparison is in fact confirming that it is the same malt. He has not responded to my requests for more information. I have had contact with Wyeast who will only say it is "comprable". White Labs indicates that it is not the same, but adds that even if it was taken from the same yeast at some point in the past, variation over time between the two producers would assure that it is not now the same. As far as Zum Uerige is concerned they wouldn't confirm ANYTHING, let alone if it was or was not their yeast.

Back