Which 3 beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BroomVikin

Reaction score
I’ve got room for 3 kegs in my fridge and I’m just about to kick my last keg. With nothing in the pipeline it’s a clean slate heading into the fall season. If you could have three beers on tap and ready for fall/winter which would they be and why?

Weizenbock for rainy days,
Begian Quad to enjoy at a fireplace
and a winter beer like N'Ice Chouffe because it's winter.

Speaking for myself only, and in no particular order, a fall line-up that I would really like would include:

a smoked wheat, somewhere between hefeweizen and dunkelweizen (I've made this and it is wonderful)

a honey-sage seasonal (haven't brewed this yet, but it is on my list for fall, with home-grown sage and local honey)

and something I've been rolling around in my head that would be a sort of abbey/wheat ale; I've developed a tentative recipe and am calling it "Klosterkirche Weizenbier"

Speaking for myself only, and in no particular order, a fall line-up that I would really like would include:

a smoked wheat, somewhere between hefeweizen and dunkelweizen (I've made this and it is wonderful)

a honey-sage seasonal (haven't brewed this yet, but it is on my list for fall, with home-grown sage and local honey)

and something I've been rolling around in my head that would be a sort of abbey/wheat ale; I've developed a tentative recipe and am calling it "Klosterkirche Weizenbier"

I put a lime-basil twist on Cream of Three Crops once and it was very good. Never thought of trying sage though...

I just kicked a Baltic Porter keg. It's one of my favorite styles but I might sub it out for a RIS just to have something a little "heartier".

Of the big beer styles, RIS is my least favorite, personally. BP might be my fav beer style overall. I'd much, much rather have a barleywine or old ale or baltic porter; big malt, no roast.

NEIPA - love the style, aroma, and hoppy flavor
Old ale, Altbier - love that big malt flavor
Smoked - Something like HOTD Adam or Schlerlenka, smoked beers are awesome and underappreciated IMHO

If I had a 4th choice, Vanilla Rye

a graf
a robust porter
and work on a sour for January

Floral IPA(Hop Hunter, Torpedo)
Dry stout
Belgian quad
Because these are 3 delicious styles, especially in the fall and winter.
Now if you're thinking of 3 styles for watching fall football(as in you drink for 4 hours and stay awake):
Hefeweizen(German style)
Helles or Mai bock
Session strength English brown ale

Dry-hopped saison (everyday drinker)
Imperial Stout (the dessert/sipper)
Flanders Red (always need a sour available)

Marzen, Maibock, Doppelbock.

But that seems excessive on the malty lagers, so instead I'll swap out Marzen with Sweet Stout.

Why... I live in a climate with snowy winters and in the winter I want something that feels good after I come in from shoveling snow. I want something that makes me feel kind of like a warm soup or stew might (not that I'm looking to pair those beers with a soup or stew). So these are the styles I enjoy that meet that criteria.

Sweet Stouts are a decent change of pace from bocks for someone who isn't into hoppy beer, and I'd want a lighter bock to tide me over until the doppelbock is ready.

How might you go about a Salted Caramel stout? I don't see a recipe in the DB and a search isn't too helpful.

+2

As for my styles for fall, I'm going to brew a Rye IPA, pumpkin ale, and a stout for this fall.

Marzen, Maibock, Doppelbock.

But that seems excessive on the malty lagers, so instead I'll swap out Marzen with Sweet Stout.

Why... I live in a climate with snowy winters and in the winter I want something that feels good after I come in from shoveling snow. I want something that makes me feel kind of like a warm soup or stew might (not that I'm looking to pair those beers with a soup or stew). So these are the styles I enjoy that meet that criteria.

Sweet Stouts are a decent change of pace from bocks for someone who isn't into hoppy beer, and I'd want a lighter bock to tide me over until the doppelbock is ready.

Definitely agree with you there, if there is a good snow storm in the forecast I'm sure to go pick up a 6 pack of doppelbock. The only time I ever drink it is when it snows.

I'd probably brew a nice roasty/chocolately brown ale, a big ass double IPA, and something else, maybe a porter.

Ryepa. Chinook hops, along with Simcoe.
WheatIPA, Amarillo hops.
IPA,CITRA

These are all meant to be hazy.

Back