Whey in Milk Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rickdude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've started making yogurt (gee, what else can I ferment?), and I've found that I prefer the Greek style, which you get by draining excess whey.

As is the case with many homebrewers, I try to be frugal and I've been trying to figure out how to use it. I don't make bread anymore, so the typical "add it to bread" doesn't work for me and I've been trying to think of other uses. Has anyone tried whey in a milk stout?

I think it's probably pretty high in lactose, so that seems like a natural use (and I guess I'll figure out expected solids; I suspect there's not enough to provide all of the lactose I'd want to add). I'm trying to think of how to best incorporate it, though. Should I mash with it, sparge with it, or just add it to the boil?

Anyone have thoughts on this?

I've started making yogurt (gee, what else can I ferment?), and I've found that I prefer the Greek style, which you get by draining excess whey.

As is the case with many homebrewers, I try to be frugal and I've been trying to figure out how to use it. I don't make bread anymore, so the typical "add it to bread" doesn't work for me and I've been trying to think of other uses. Has anyone tried whey in a milk stout?

I think it's probably pretty high in lactose, so that seems like a natural use (and I guess I'll figure out expected solids; I suspect there's not enough to provide all of the lactose I'd want to add). I'm trying to think of how to best incorporate it, though. Should I mash with it, sparge with it, or just add it to the boil?

Anyone have thoughts on this?
Heat the whey to 210F and it will produce ricotta. You might need to add a bit of acid, such as citric acid, but after cheesemaking the pH is lowered and there is no need to add anything. Use the ricotta in food, such as gnudi or stuffed pasta.

When the why is near boiling, a white foam will suddenly appear at the top of the pot of why. Use a curd ladle or some sort of hand strainer to scoop out the foam. Put it into a ricotta mold (or a strainer) and let it drain in the sink. Ricotta.

Recipe for gnudi Gnudi Recipe with Sage and Brown Butter - Great Italian Chefs

it will produce ricotta

Yeah, the problem here is that I only collect a little whey at a time, storing it in the fridge in between collections. Although I haven't tried it, I've heard that using stored whey doesn't do too well with ricotta. Have you had experience with that?

Thanks!

Yeah, the problem here is that I only collect a little whey at a time, storing it in the fridge in between collections. Although I haven't tried it, I've heard that using stored whey doesn't do too well with ricotta. Have you had experience with that?

Thanks!

You have to create ricotta immediately after you create the whey. So right, not going to work for you. Whey is certainly delicious. Maybe use in a soup, like creamy potato (& bacon!) or NE clam chowder.

Back