Where's my bitterness?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NanoMan

Reaction score
Good day to all in Homebrew Talk Land, the best homebrew forum I've ever had the pleasure to associate with.

The problem of the day: Where in the heck is my bitterness?!

I cannot for the life of me seem to get a decent firm hop bitterness in my IPAs. At best, they taste like pale ales. And becasue they are not designed to be pale ales, the balance isn't right. The vast majority of my low IBU beers (12-30), and my stouts, come out as expected.

I use the EZ calculator for setting pH and ions. My water is very soft and low carbonate. I use ProMash for recipe formulation. Mitch Steel, in his new book, IPAs, discusses several times how pH dropping during fermentation can result in a 25 - 30% loss in IBUs. My beers actually taste like that. For example, a 65 IBU IPA will taste more like 45 IBU to me. Sierra Nevada confirmed to me that Celebration Ale is 65 IBU at the bottle, lab tested. So I kinda use that as my "calibration beer".

I realize this is palate subjective, but I know when the beer is not as bitter as I expect. . By way of example, a beer I racked this AM has a theoretical IBU of 106 (assuming 30% loss that should be just above 70 IBU). OG 1.066. 64 theoretical IBU come from the 90 and 60" additions, with 42.1 coming from 30 - 1" additions. FG 1.012. Beer pH 4.64. This should be bitter, and while tasty, it is NOT bitter.

There are other examples. The only thing I can think of is that there is so much late addition hop that it is in essence covering up the bitterness. And what I should do is should do is target 90% of perceived IBU (63 in this case) as the bittering addition, then work on flavor. But this will still mean that my theoretical IBUs are going to be in the 120 range, which seems kinda crazy. I could just trust my palate and adjust recipes accordingly, but I really would like to understand what's going on.

Thoughts? I'm swimming in pale ales!!

Cheers!

Nanoman

Full wort boil In the example above, 90". This year's hop crop, too (pellets).

What was the water profile?

Are you properly calibrating you pH meter? A finished beer pH above 4.6 is a little on the high side.

Proper carbonation will help perceived bitterness also.

Great questions. I calibrate the meter between each reading. I have the highest confidence I can get, given the equipment. And yes, it is a little high and I am working on that. Have only just started regularly checking pH (mash, pre/post boil, post ferment). I have also just started acidifying all water (mash and sparge). Starting water is Ca++4.2, Mg++ 0.7, Na+ 4.9, Cl- 3.2, SO4-- 1.6 and alkalinity at 20. Soft, as you can see. Using EZ Water calc, my theoretical ion ppm is: Ca++ 147, Mg++10, Na+ 5, Cl- 67, SO4-- 306, Cl-/SO4-- ratio 0.22 I realize the Ca and So4 are too high I'm a little new to the EZ calc. Although, the beer does not taste at all minerally. I add all of the salts into the mash.

BTW, am now also checking pH on commercial beers, flat. Knee Deep Citra Pale 4.92; Deschutes Obsidian Stout 4.57.

Cheers!

84% pale
7.5% crystal
7.5% cara-pils
1% carafa I
.38 oz Chinook 13.7 90" 24.6 IBU (Raeger)
.38 oz Columbus 13.9 90" 24.6 IBU
.13 oz Chinook 13.7 60" 7.4 IBU
.13 oz Columbus 13.9 60" 7.5
.13 oz Chinook 13.7 30" 3.8 IBU
.13 oz Columbus 13.9 30" 3.8 IBU
.25 oz Chinook 13.7 15" 3.9 IBU
.38 oz Columbus 13.9 15" 3.9 IBU
.88 oz Cascade 6.4 10" 4.8 IBU
1 oz Chinook 13.7 1" 9.8 IBU
1 oz Columbus 13.9 1" 11.4

Mash 152F

You have the ions already.

Update: Did a tasting with a fellow BJCP judge this AA on the above beer, now cold and carbonated. We both agree the bitterness is there; this is not the first time that carbonation and serving temp fundamentially change a beer from the fermenter. Perhaps more importantly, this beer is presents very close to what Mitch Steel predicts in his new book on IPAs. That is, with the resultant pH drop due to fermentation decreasing the solubility of iso-alpha acids, the actual IBU of the beer will be 25-30% less than theoretically predicted. Celebration Ale from Sierra Nevada is 65 IBU in the bottle, lab tested. Relative to that, my beer seems to have about 70 BU, 30% less than the 101-106 predicted.

FWIW.

Cheers!

Good to hear. I was struggling to figure out where you were losing IBUs. Usually you will lose them to the yeast if you are using English yeasts.

It ended up as I suspected it might though. Carbonation really changes a beer.

Good day.

I hope this post is helpful. This is a very significant day for me in terms of brewing knowledge. I have been brewing for nearly 14 years and never in all that time, all the books, magazines, lectures etc., did I ever learn about final IBU. I just received the following reply from Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.:

"Our brew house hot side or wort IBU target for Celebration is 89. Our fermentation IBU target is 70 and our packaged target is 65. This equals out to a 27% loss."

This completely explains why my Celebration Ale Clone (and other IPAs) have been missing the bitterness aspect. It is consistent with what Mitch Steel states in his new book, IPA, and it is consistent with the dramatic improvement in my IPAs since I have been factoring in this loss (I use 30%) into my recipes. Maybe this is old news for brewers out there, but not for me. Huge.

Cheers!

NanoMan

That is some good information. I think most brewers knew that they were losing IBU along the way, but most don't account for it in recipe formulation. I know that I will always up my IBU when fermenting with an English yeast because they really suck up the iso-alpha from the beer. Having a good percentage number to use in recipe formulation is extremely helpful.

It seems you figured out that the pH was to blame. So, what was the pH of your finnished beer? Do you plan on correcting pH? Or just compensating for lost bitterness by adding more hops?

Blame is such a harsh word! :) Dropping pH is a natural part of fermentation and has a direct impact (one of many) on the solubility of isoalphacids *(and thus IBU). My pH on finished beer is still on the high side, but is dropping as I get more comfortable with acid additions. As for recipe, right now I am automatically bumping theoretical IBU 30% to account for all losses (ferment, hop age, etc.). So far, this has greatly improved the beers.

Here is some more commercial beer pH data:

Heretic Evil Twin: 4.59
Sierra Nevada Pale: 4.21

Cheers!

I notice that Mitch Steel was in the July/August 2012 issue of Zymurgy. Even if you don't get his book the article is a great read and he discusses the IBU loss there. I've also noticed that some clone recipes are starting to show Actual IBU, or IBU at the bottle. I would expect to see more of this moving forward. Now I'm dusting off and revising old recipes that "fell short". This could get fun!

Back