Where to stick LCD thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dc_x

Reaction score
I ruined my LCD thermometer last time I fermented in my primary. I used a swamp cooler for my last batch and had the lcd thermometer mostly under water for 2 weeks. It stopped giving me temps after about 1.5 weeks and is now totally shot.

I have a new LCD thermometer on the way and was planning on placing it horizontally rather than vertically and putting it up around the 4.5 gallon mark on my primary to make sure it is above the water line.

Will I still get accurate temperature readings that far up on the bucket?

Horizontal is a good way to go if you typically use a swamp cooler. As long as it's placed somewhere that's going to be completely in the beer you should be fine. Although there probably will be a slight temperature gradient from top to bottom if you're using a swamp cooler since the cold water the bucket is sitting in will make the beer a little cooler at the bottom.

I'm not sure it's enough to worry about though as you might be talking about a degree or two difference. But if your swamp cooler water only comes up to say the 2.5 gal mark or so it wouldn't hurt to drop the thermometer a few inches to get it centered better.

that high is fine as long as you don't make a smaller 3 gallon experimental batch.

fermentation will 'stir' the wort/beer inside sufficiently that the temperature should be consistent throughout the whole bucket/carboy.

I am thoroughly impressed at the restraint of my fellow HBTers... someone asked where to stick it... and they got helpful advice!

I am thoroughly impressed at the restraint of my fellow HBTers... someone asked where to stick it... and they got helpful advice!

That's right, nothing but class here at HBT. We take the high road every time, all the time.

But seriously folks, don't stick it in the bucket unless you've sanitized properly. I know it's tempting......:ban:

Good lord, after a few brews tonight that's ALL I'm seeing in the Beginner's Beer Brewing Forum!
But seriously folks, don't stick it in the bucket unless you've sanitized properly.
Too... many... opportunities... must... not... errrrrrr... can't hold back... gahhhhh!!! NO! Adults, we're adults here, right?! Yes. That's it. Act my age... {snicker} :tank:

Learned on here somewhere to cover it with clear packing tape to keep it dry. My new one has been gold since.

I am thoroughly impressd with your avatar. One of the greatest music vhs/dvd's of mankind. I have the urge to dig that one out and watch it again.

I am thoroughly impressd with your avatar. One of the greatest music vhs/dvd's of mankind. I have the urge to dig that one out and watch it again.

Thanks... I think you've just spurred me to watch it again. Before it was re-released on DVD several years back, it had been YEARS since I had seen it.
Careful with that carboy, Galen

Latest posts

Back