where to purchase sanitizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raf1919

Reaction score
aside from brewer store or online. anywhere else i can purchase sanitizer? my grocery store didn't have any. would like home depot maybe?

I've never seen it in a grocery or hardware store. What part of Chicago are you in? There's a few homebrew stores around. Feel free to pm me.

hey stillpapper im in northwest burb Palatine, IL. there is a micro brewery next to me like a restaurant i was thinking maybe calling them?

You live in Palatine, IL, surrounded by homebrew supply shops and haven't found your way to one of them? Shame on you. Go find one (google search works fine to get locations) and buy your sanitizer along with another $100 worth of supplies to make more beer yet.

no i haven't found one in the area.. i tried google "homebrew supply" nothing. can you give me some names?

I go to Brew and Grow on Addison and Kedzie. They have a decent selection. I know there are stores in Libertyville, St. Charles, Aurora, and Crystal Lake. Not super close to you. And honestly I usually get mine at Ace Hardware. They do carry Star San and it's not too pricey. Go ahead and talk to the guys at Emmitt's they might be able to sell you some cheaper. Cheers!!!

I'm going to blaspheme here, but you CAN still use household bleach to sanitize. Obviously it's no no-rinse, but if it's a matter of some desperation (like, brewing or not brewing) it IS still an option.

If your hard up you can use "Iodine" from the drug store. Buy the old fashioned brown stuff. Mix teaspoon to one gallon of cool water and mix. The mixture will be a light straw color if done right. You need about 20-30 seconds of contact time. No reason to rinse. You can reuse the iodine mix until it turns clear, usually in about 3-4 days, depending on temperature and light exposure.

all great suggestions.. thanks guys.

this is my first batch and i'm just anxious to bottle it. getting really thirsty.

i will call emmits and see what they say. also i have ace hardware by my house too, will check w/ them.

worst case i have unscented bleech on hand too. and this weekend i will go to brew/grow and stock up for next batch.

I wouls use bleach as absolute last case scenario. Sanitizing does tend to splash quite a bit. so the bleach will get everywhere. Spray bottle works great on conserving sanitizer. I get the instant sanitizer from brew and grow. Works great and lasts for a while. Also if you are bottling use oxiclean to remove lables from used bottles. Stop by any bar ask them to save you some bottles. I've had no problem with this. And try to stay away from amstel light bottles. those labels are a ***** to get off.

Take the train to Crystal Lake; the C.L. Health Food Store/Homebrew Shop is about 2 blocks (5 min walk) from the downtown station. Make sure you check the hours before you go. A weekend pass will run you $5 on metra (although that may have increased lately). Just make sure you can carry everything you buy. If you need to kill some time, Dukes AleHouse next to the trainstation has a good selection and decent prices

Bleach can be no-rinse: 1oz of bleach and white vinegar to 5 gallons of water. Put the bleach in first, then add the vinegar after you have mixed well.

I've used even lower concentrations without problem, but I wouldn't recommend it. Be advised that I would only use unscented, fresh bleach, not the citrus stuff that's been lying around in the laudry room for 2 years.

Wear old clothes.

no go from emmits. i called home couldn't sell any to me.

i'm using a coopers kit and its been 7days today and it looks like it stopped "bubbling" i can't make it to brew store till friday.

can i wait that long to bottle?

I'm using a coopers kit and its been 7days today and it looks like it stopped "bubbling" i can't make it to brew store till friday.

can i wait that long to bottle?

Raf, its way too early to bottle. After active fermentation (where you may see signs of fermentation, like airlock bubbling), the beer will benefit from sitting for a little while. I almost never bottle before 3 weeks after brewing and often longer than that. So, no worries, get yourself some no-rinse sanitizer (like star san or iodophor) in the next couple of weeks and then bottle. Cheers!

raf1919:

You can let your primary sit for many months (unopened) without problems. I, as a course of routine, let my primary sit for 3-4 weeks before bottling. Lagers even longer at 6 weeks (or longer). In fact a couple weeks of sitting in the primary is very, very beneficial to the taste of beer.

well that is good to know.. i was getting worried since the instructions said 7days and bubbling stopped when i checked this morning.

well problem solved i will wait till weekend and make the trip to brew store. i'm just anxious to try this.

Back