Where to find used kegs locally.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToastedPenguin

Reaction score
Interested in getting a 15.5G keg or two for some keggles, HLT etc.. I see them on ebay, some online merchants sell them but the shipping price is near the cost of the keg itself so at that cost I can just buy a bunch of large SS kettles instead which I don't want to do.

Anyway don't know where to start looking for used kegs in my area and was hoping for some pointers.

Thanks!

David

Try calling your local beer distributors to see if they'll sell you any beat up kegs that are ready to be retired. Many people also have good luck with craigslist, but then there are the ethical implications of buying what is most likely a "stolen" keg.

Talk to the scrap yard. Tell them you want them intact. They tend to cut them in half so they they can stack them.

+1 for calling the scrap yard. Legally, the scrap yard is not permitted to buy kegs as scrap here in WA because they are property of the brewery and not the person selling them for scrap...but, they have them all the time. Look in the yellow pages for scrap metal and call around. Even if you have to drive a little to get there, it would still be cheaper than having one shipped from somewhere.

Also- college just started up around here, and I see empty kegs in the garages of college rental houses all the time. Go to a neighborhood where there are lots of college rentals and ask around on the weekend...

Back