where to buy switches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HellBentBrewCo

Reaction score
I'm building my control panel and I'd like to use the lighted push botton switches I see all over the place here. Where is everyone purchasing theirs from?

The ones on my panel came from Auber Instruments. They look like this when illuminated:

Front_viewa.jpg

Why do people put a switch for the alarm? I figured all of that would be PID controlled?

To disable the alarm when you do not want it to go off. For example if I set an alarm for right before boiling temperature, to make sure I am there to lower the manual mode output and prevent a boil over, the alarm will continue to go off throughout the boil because the temperature is still above the high alarm. There is no way to turn the alarm off from the PID (at least the Auber PIDs) so a switch is wired between the alarm relay and the buzzer.

To disable the alarm when you do not want it to go off. For example if I set an alarm for right before boiling temperature, to make sure I am there to lower the manual mode output and prevent a boil over, the alarm will continue to go off throughout the boil because the temperature is still above the high alarm. There is no way to turn the alarm off from the PID (at least the Auber PIDs) so a switch is wired between the alarm relay and the buzzer.

Thank you. I had no idea you couldn't enable and disable the alarm from the PID. You can only set the parameters for when it will go off?

iijakii said:
Thank you. I had no idea you couldn't enable and disable the alarm from the PID. You can only set the parameters for when it will go off?

That is my understanding. I have not completed my build yet, so this is based on what I have read on Auber's site and here.

Debating on putting an alarm on my build now or not. I can see where it'd be useful, being able to set an alarm and walk off. But at the same time, don't think I'd really use it. Might look cool though :p

iijakii said:
Debating on putting an alarm on my build now or not. I can see where it'd be useful, being able to set an alarm and walk off. But at the same time, don't think I'd really use it. Might look cool though :p

My thought on the matter is that the alarm+switch didn't add much to the build cost and I would rather have it and not need it then to need it and now have it. For me it would be a huge pain to add one later.

Back