Where to buy short propane hose?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daphatgrant

Reaction score
Hey HBT, I'm still working on my propane setup. I've tested it and it works but I tested it with hoses that are way too long. I need some 1/4" ID hose that's 3' or less that has a 3/8" female SAE gas flare on one end and a 1/4" male NPT on the other end.

If all that's confusing I just need to attach a Bayou Classic control valve (1/4" female NPT) to a Bayou Classic BG14 burner (3/8" SAE female gas flare) with a hose that is 3' or less.

PNH7NDx.jpg

to
kjE83x4.jpg

Worst case I might end up buying 2 of these and scrapping the regulators.

This is what I am hooking up.
nRwnQ6h.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey HBT, I'm still working on my propane setup. I've tested it and it works but I tested it with hoses that are way too long. I need some 1/4" ID hose that's 3' or less that has a 3/8" female SAE gas flare on one end and a 1/4" male NPT on the other end.

If all that's confusing I just need to attach a Bayou Classic control valve (1/4" female NPT) to a Bayou Classic BG14 burner (3/8" SAE female gas flare) with a hose that is 3' or less.

PNH7NDx.jpg

to
kjE83x4.jpg

Worst case I might end up buying 2 of these and scrapping the regulators.

This is what I am hooking up.
nRwnQ6h.png

That's exactly what I did. Bought 2 of the hose regulator setups from Lowes. Then, I had a place that makes hydraulic hoses cut them and put new crimp fittings on them. It took some searching to find a place that would do it, but got it done and it came out great. I had to check with a couple different hose places to find one that would do it. I never did find short hoses and needle valves that would work for my setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
It should be noted that LP hoses need to be certified in some jurisdictions for fire regulations. I'm told that if a non-certified hose were to fail catastrophically it may cause grief with insurance and possibly the fire department. Having said that, if it's on the low side of the regulator, do a soap test or better yet use some Snoop to test for leaks and carry on. Also, I know in Canada I can get custom lengths of certified LP hose from Fairview Fittings rather quickly. Just find an industrial supply store that deals with them and they should have it to you in short order.

I appreciate your diagram - I'm about to plumb mine and it's very helpful. Seems to be the status quo.

Would multiple regulators at the burner level be more customizable? Ex. If you're wanting to regulate your mash temp while also bringing up some sparge water, could you adjust the pressure? Or is it easier and cheaper to tweak the oxygen setting and duration that the burner is on?

Thought I saw someone else plumb it and caught a some **** in the comments. Can't seem to find that thread - everything is blurring together in my head.

The diagram shown by the OP with a simple valve per burner driven by a single regulator might work well using valves as propane flow restrictors, I've certainly seen many brew rigs using that same concept with needle valves down-stream from a shared regulator.

I went a different way if only because my two burners came with 0-10 psi regulators, so I used them as "secondary" propane regulators down-stream from a shared POL-style high-volume adjustable regulator at the cylinder.

fwiw, if by "tweaking the oxygen setting" you mean adjusting the air dampers, I never have to change the air damper settings on my bg14 burners, they stay set at 50% open as I've never needed to crank the output to where they'd need to be opened more...

Cheers!

Gotcha. That'd be dynamite if the valves (#4) acted as regulators themselves. Just figured pressure pressurizes, but I guess it'd make sense since it's being consumed and not retained that it wouldn't pressurize and you could throttle based on the valve. Whew! So the on/off valve does also act to a degree like a secondary regulator.

And indeed by 'tweaking the O2' I meant the damper. o_O:tank::tank:

Last edited:
Valves are not regulators, they are restrictors. In a closed system allowed to reach equilibrium the pressure down-stream of a open valve (no matter how "open") will be the same as up-stream.
But as burner output is dependent on mass flow a restrictor can serve as a functional throttle...

Cheers!

Back