Where to buy cider jugs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewin_Bob

Reaction score
Anyone know of a good place to buy cider jugs? I'm brew EdWort's Apfelwein and I'm trying to find an aesthetic container to bottle it in.

Also, I've got 5 gallons of the cider fermenting away. I'd like to bottle a gallon in about 4 or 5 weeks and let the rest age some more for varied periods of time. If I were to rack a gallon out at a time, what would be the concern as far as oxidation? Should I just bottle all of it at the same time and let the individual bottles age or would it benefit more from aging at a greater volume?

rsava423 said:
Anyone know of a good place to buy cider jugs? I'm brew EdWort's Apfelwein and I'm trying to find an aesthetic container to bottle it in.

Also, I've got 5 gallons of the cider fermenting away. I'd like to bottle a gallon in about 4 or 5 weeks and let the rest age some more for varied periods of time. If I were to rack a gallon out at a time, what would be the concern as far as oxidation? Should I just bottle all of it at the same time and let the individual bottles age or would it benefit more from aging at a greater volume?

I personally like to use the Big Flip top bottles for cider, You can sit down and sip on them and you dont have to carry around the 1 gallon jugs, However if you want the jugs, Northern Brewer have them for 4 bucks a piece, And I would not worry about Oxidation with cider I splash the hell out of mine and never have and problems.

My HBS/beer and wine store sells used 4 liter wine jugs for $2 each. Its what I use for my wine and mead experiments.

Craig

try contacting your local grocer or liberal type(meant in love) store and inquire about geting the jugs that are brought in for recycling. i think some of them have deopsits or watch for them to be left in recycling bins.

Back