Where to buy a laptop cooling fan?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONNYROTTEN

Reaction score
My laptop is making noise...sounds like the fan is on its way out. I looked on amazon prime and Ebay but only had a couple options and shipping would take awhile. I'm afraid its going to burn up before I get it.

Any ideas where to get one quicky. Amazon prime would work...no idea if there are lots of different fans non OEM fans that would fit.

Zero computer repair skills but watching a video it seems pretty straight forward.

Laptop is

HP 15- f162dx

Thanks

Check some of the computer stores on line or otherwise.
www.microcenter.com is the best one that comes to mind.
maybe even something like Best Buy might (MIGHT) have what you need.
You'll still need to wait for shipping, most likely, so in the meantime, don't overdo it with the
computer - don't have too much stuff open at once, and keep the vents clear.
Even if the fan does crap out, it doesn't automatically mean the computer is toast.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M6UN7VS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I've replaced many of these things. hopefully that model makes it easy. If not, keep close track of which screws go where, take pictures as you go, and watch Youtube videos on how to disassemble it. With organization and care they aren't too hard to replace.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
That one is used. They're cheap enough to get a new one if I get find one or get one shipped quickly.

No luck with local radio shack or Best Buy....still hunting...Will check other ideas/links mentioned

Could be simply dust built-up. Cleaning could do wonders, but you'll have to remove it.

Often the "bearing" in the fan is bad or goes bad. They're a weak spot. Cleaning and a drop of oil could get it going, but it will need to be replaced sooner or later. However, sometimes the "repair" will last for years.

If the heatsink needs to be removed in the process, a little thermal paste will be needed to remount it.

If I filp the laptop upside down with the screen open it gets worse than if its opened normal...Not sure what that means but I'm sure its not good.. No good on link..Micro something.
Waiting to here back from a local store.....never thought a fan would be so hard to get

Just stop using your computer. You'll be better off for it. I haven't been on any form of the internet for over a year now and I'll never look back. So liberating!

Just stop using your computer. You'll be better off for it. I haven't been on any form of the internet for over a year now and I'll never look back. So liberating!

But what do you do for Pr0n??

Seriously, you have to make a choice here, OP. I recommend starting with some compressed air. Not the can of weak sauce they sell at Radio Shack. get 60-80 PSI, block the fins from spinning (So you don't overheat the bearings) and blow the fan out.

If that doesn't do it, then you should remove the old fan, disassemble, and oil (or graphite) the fan bearing. This is a temporary solution for until you get a replacement fan. (It might work fine for a long time, but most of the time I've used oil it comes back after a while.)

Unfortunately most laptop fans are built to not be replaceable with generic fans. They are kind of form-fitting. That said, you might be able to get by with what you have if it blows out and sounds better.

Just be careful not to let it overheat. Make sure to not block the intake holes. Some laptops are susceptible to the solder joints between the CPU or GPU, and the Motherboard overheating, causing the whole machine to stop working. If that happens, it's not always possible or practical to repair it.

I have replaced whole motherboards from Ebay, but it's got to be a special machine to warrant the cost and work.

But what do you do for Pr0n??

[...] I recommend starting with some compressed air. Not the can of weak sauce they sell at Radio Shack. get 60-80 PSI, block the fins from spinning (So you don't overheat the bearings) and blow the fan out.

[...]

You could use CO2 to blow out the dust. Just put a skinny hose or nozzle on it. Also use a brush.

Very important to hold the fan blades down to prevent them from spinning at 10,000 rpm, when applying air/CO2. That will burn out the bearing in no time.

Haha, So how are you posting on HBT????

Fish_on_oct14.jpg

Back