Where does my beer stand???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigStew84

Reaction score
Just brewed what I thought was gonna be an all citra IPA with an IBU of around 75-80...being the smartest guy in the room as always...I misread my original hop schedule I added my 15 minute hops at 45...jumping things up juuuust a bit to 111 IBU which is DIPA, Imperial territory...but the ABV is still gonna be about 6.5...NOT in DIPA/Imperial territory...would it be considered a Session DIPA or still just considered a DIPA??? I'm not sure...

Session...due to the abv...session refers to the fact that you could drink a few in a session.

Call it what you want...... I have never met a beer I could not session. However I have met quit a few I would never want to.

post back the results when it's done. With a 6.5% ABV, you'll have malt to balance out all those hops- but it should be a bitter. It may not have the hop flavor and aroma of a citra IPA.

Blue Point Hoptical Illusion is a very bitter IPA at and estimated 66 IBUs and 6.8% ABV.

Dogfish 120 and Heady Topper are more bitter than what you made at 120 IBUs, so you may have brewed a great beer!

Agreed, call it whatever you want. But the real question is what will you name it? I have suggestions, but I'm gonna hold them like a bad card hand.

And 6.5% is still considered a session brew?? So what is the cut off? Double digits?

post back the results when it's done. With a 6.5% ABV, you'll have malt to balance out all those hops- but it should be a bitter. It may not have the hop flavor and aroma of a citra IPA.

Blue Point Hoptical Illusion is a very bitter IPA at and estimated 66 IBUs and 6.8% ABV.

Dogfish 120 and Heady Topper are more bitter than what you made at 120 IBUs, so you may have brewed a great beer!

It should be done in a few weeks but I'll def stay posted as to what I'm looking at...right now it's super Dank and it's the first beer I had to use a blowoff tube bc she was cookin big time! I still have 3oz of citra (on top of the 5.75oz total in the boil) to dry hop so I'm guessing the aroma will be there...I can't wait to taste it tho!!

Agreed, call it whatever you want. But the real question is what will you name it? I have suggestions, but I'm gonna hold them like a bad card hand.

And 6.5% is still considered a session brew?? So what is the cut off? Double digits?

I named it Lieutenant Dank..bc when I open the closet all I smell are those Dank hops haha..love to hear your ideas tho!

I'm not sure the cut off of a session I was just thinking since it's such a low ABV for a DIPA it would've like a session..but I agree with the responses that it can be whatever I want haha

Session range is usually 3-5% ABV but I don't think there is any organization that defines this.

Originally, it referred to beer you can drink over a couple of hours (a session) without getting drunk (or so they thought). The only beer IMO that meets this is Coors Light and I think they lie about there being any ABV.

6.5% would be in line with an IPA

Lt Dank :mug:

Back