Where do you store your propane tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earlytimes

Reaction score
I just bought a 20lb. propane tank tonight so I can brew with my new turkey fryer this weekend. I've never owned one before, so I never thought about this until I got home and read the safty label on it that says never store it indoors or even in a garage. How seriously should I take that warning? I don't have a storage shed or anything like that in my backyard. Just wondering what others in my situation do. Cheers!

Both of mine are outside... yah, you can only have 1lb cylinders indoors, and two of them at that.

I keep mine in the garage. I guess I don't understand why that is bad. Could someone please enlighten me?

One reason - The garage is a high traffic area which can lead to the tank getting knocked over and the valve knocked off. Very unlikely but can happen. Always better to be safe. Mine is actually under and behind something so there isn't much chance of it getting knocked over.

One reason - The garage is a high traffic area which can lead to the tank getting knocked over and the valve knocked off. Very unlikely but can happen. Always better to be safe. Mine is actually under and behind something so there isn't much chance of it getting knocked over.

Good point. My garage is detached so me and the dog are the only ones who go in there but I do store the tank out of the way. I am listening to the podcast on propane safety right now and it sounds like the main concern is in the event of a fire you have a bomb sitting in your garage.

reason to not store in the garage is that a lot of homes have their heat and water heaters there. A leak from the tank and a pilot light is not good . I store mine in outside

Mine is stored with the grille in one of my pole Barns. I use electricity to brew with.:)

I store my brewing propane tanks on the front of the travel trailer. 2x30lb tanks

We never use the heat in the summer on the camper... someone's got to use that gas. :D

I store my tanks in the garage. What a bunch of thumb suckers!;):D. I also have a decent amount of experience with it ( I fill my own tanks). I also have a gas hot water heater in the garage, not a problem, I store tanks on the opposite side. If you can't smell even the slightest leak form a tank, your nose is broken. Maybe it's just me, but it seems the world is one big unnecessary warning label. I suppose it's to cover their butts.

I am listening to the podcast on propane safety right now and it sounds like the main concern is in the event of a fire you have a bomb sitting in your garage.

I also have 2 car bombs with a combined 30 gallons of gas in my garage, but I aint parking them outside.:mug:

I also have 2 car bombs with a combined 30 gallons of gas in my garage, but I aint parking them outside.:mug:

excellent point. I was just about convinced that I should put them outside, but you changed my mind. Garage it is! In the far corner out of the way, of course.

I keep mine in the basement. Valve is closed and there is no danger of it being knocked over also it is nowhere near the water heater or furnace.

I keep two 20 pound propane cylinders in the garage. One is on my rig with the valve turned off when not in use, the other is standby and stored in a corner. I do not have a water heater or furnace in the garage.

I probably should store mine better.

The small tank (not sure what size, the kind you swap at the grocery store and such) sits in the garage.

The huge tank sits outside the garage as I can't really move it with all this snow. If I use it I just have to setup my burner nearby.

I store mine in the garage close to the garage door. I'm sure it's fine.

I keep my hose connected though with both the tank valve and pressure valve off. No big deal, right?

Mike

Back