Where do you get your supplies for cider from?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

er_zzz

Reaction score
I am looking to make my own cider from scratch and all the material i have read says you have to get unpasteurized, preservative free apple juice in order to do this. Where do yall get your juice and other supplies from, is there a good website for this or just local suppliers?

mostly local farms. i think all store-bought juice has to at least be pasteurized.

store-bought stuff can make a decent cider though. pasteurized is fine...preserved not so much.

You can get store bought apple juice or cider, so long as it has no preservatives. The juice I bought was canned and contained only juice and abscorbic acid.

Thanks for the help, one more question: do you sweeten your cider with xylitol or just drink it straight? If so where do you get yours?

I'm going to carbonate my cider in-bottle, so if I need this I want to buy everything in one trip.

er_zzz said:
Thanks for the help, one more question: do you sweeten your cider with xylitol or just drink it straight? If so where do you get yours?

I'm going to carbonate my cider in-bottle, so if I need this I want to buy everything in one trip.

If your going to bottle carbonate for a sweet cider then yes you will want to use an alcohol sugar like maltodextrine, xylitol, splenda or stevia... Xylitol is expensive and lately people on here have voiced concerns about squirting out their behinds after ingesting.. Splenda uses maltodextrine as a filler and kind of adds a thick mouth feel... I've been using stevia and it has is faults but works for me... I know xylitol and stevia can be found at most health food stores.. walmarts generic brand of splenda works just as good as the original..

Musselman's Apple Cider, Whole Foods 365 Organic Apple Juice, and Simply Apple are all preservative free. Pasteurization is okay because all that has done is kill the wild yeast which you would probably do anyway with a Campden tablet. Although there are probably many out there who would swear by raw cider over store bought any day.

http://www.howtomakehardcider.com/index.html

Back