Where do you ferment your WY3068/WLP300?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKoravos

Reaction score
I did a German Hefe recently with WY3068. I fermented at 62, on Jamil's advice. Supposedly, he gets pretty balanced banana and clove at that temp. I don't get much clove coming through in mine. What temps are people having success with the Weihenstephan strain?

This spring, I brewed a Dunkelweisen using WLP300 and fermented it at 68-69 degrees. It has a modest banana and clove aroma and flavor.

I ferment the WLP300 at 69-70F... it has a pretty balanced banana clove flavor. Now, to get that temp my ambient temp has to be about 65F as that stuff REALLY cranks!

I did one at about 68F. I think it had the perfect amount of esters, but a brewing friend thought it could have had more.

A lot of other things affect the ester profile that these guys give like pitching rate, aeration, fermenter shape, and open/closed fermenter. That's all I can think of, but I'm sure there's more.

I tend to agree with you though. 62F does seem too cool to get the right amount of esters. Especially since Jamil's pitching rates on mrmalty.com tend to be a bit higher than the Wyeast recommended 6 million cells/mL.

I pitched according to the Mr. Malty calculator, so I had a good pitch of yeast.

Even at 62 that yeast goes crazy. I ferment 11 gallons in a 15 gallon conical, and it was blowing off pretty good. Also, after i decanted my spent starter wort in the morning, I added a quart of fresh wort to get the yest going. Within 3 hours I had blowoff coming out of my 4L flask.

I like em dirty! I ferment 3068 at 74 usually, no lower. But I have let it go to 76 as well. I pitch it at about the same temp and it rips through the ferm. I have noticed that if I go lower, say 68 and below I get a nice balance right off but usually after a while in the bottle it is heavy clove. I like more banana and I like the funkyness of the higher fermentation temps. It does eventually balance more say after 4-6 weeks in the bottle, but they rarely last that long.

Back