Where did the water go!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qdog

Reaction score
SO we are on our 9th beer brew and so far so good. We have not messed anything up and we successfully plowed through our beer like alcoholic trojan horses!!!:mug:

I decided to make up my own recipe and got the blessing from our LHBS owner that it "should" be a good IPA which is what I was shooting for. My question is.....the 5 gallons of "Cheap-Ass IPA" as I named it is sitting in my carboy with no signs of the usual fermentation activity????? Also for some reason i had to re-fill my airlock with water twice.......what gives????

Its been about 5 days since the brew. My recipe is the typical IPA recipe just with my own selection of hop additions. Used WLP001 yeast. Extract. Pitched yeast at about 85-90 degrees.....is that where i messed up?????

Again...any input much appreciated. :D:cross:

Wow. Way too hot to pitch yeast.

It shouldn't have killed it, but not good. Missing water, and i might be wrong here, is due to suck-back from the wort cooling once the airlock was on.

damnit....i knew it......am i pretty much f'd hear with this one.....:(

edit: its cool now....can i add yeast :)

After 5 days, there is pretty decent chance of infection. But, if i was you, I would re-pitch yeast and see how it tastes in 2 weeks. Might be minimal effect on taste, if you are lucky

If you've had an airlock on the whole time and have been reasonably good about refilling it with santized water I wouldn't be too worried about infection. Even if you hadn't, never assume you have an infection, re-pitch and see what happens.

alright...thanks alot guys. i will re-pitch tomorrow and in a couple of weeks i will let you all know the outcome just so the other newbs can learn from my ignorance....

thanks again. :eek:

Sometimes with the 3-peice airlocks if they are a bit stuck in the cork and you've done some good torqueing on it you can put a small crack in the bottom resulting is a small leak. I'd check for a crack in the airlock. Also if you don't put the cap on, it will evaporate much faster.

did you check the gravity before you repitched? They yeast may really like that hotter temp. Fermentation could have happened in a flash that warm, resulting in large quantities of fusel alcohols.

watch out for HEADACHES!

that said, if it was hot enough to kill the yeast, you may be in luck. I did the same thing with a stout, repitched on day 4, and it turned out fine.

good luck.

well you almost made it to ten with no screw ups, that pretty good. I have a bock that was sucking water back in, I re pitched and it was bubbling several times a second, a bit violent

no starter.....i did check the airlock for cracks and it looks good. i am going to re pitch tonight....

oh well.....we will drink it anyway:mug:

Back