When you accidentally rack mead onto sanitizer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeRoy

Reaction score
Like ******* I racked a one gallon batch of mead into a secondary with around 12-16oz of star-san solution. There was so much foam from shaking that I didn't notice the liquid in the bottom (don't fear the foam). Right at the end I look down to see it's about to overflow which didn't make sense and it was cloudy! I used D47 yeast and an OG of 1.130; after racking and mixing it's ~1.034 so it was a little stuck since it had cleared really well after 5 weeks of primary. Obviously it's very sweet, it was supposed to be but less so. It is now watered down so any yeast might it down some more, I did see the airlock bubble today so there is a chance.

Questions:
~ Will it ever clear up?
~ Can I do anything about it?

Foam is one thing, but 12-16oz in a gallon (or even 5) is a lot. Idk if that’s really good to drink. I know people have said you could drink the mixed solution, but really?

I think you should stabilize it and then probably any clarifier would help remove the haze (e.g. bentonite). Or clarify it first if you think fermentation is occurring.

I think you should stabilize it and then probably any clarifier would help remove the haze (e.g. bentonite). Or clarify it first if you think fermentation is occurring.
I'll get some bentonite and hope for the best, thanks.
I'm also going to check the PH, surely it's pretty low now. I have CaCo3/chalk to correct but not sure if that's the right move.

Fill in the blank.
When you accidentally rack mead onto sanitizer = When you accidentally __________ on your grandmother.
Pretending like it never happened will not work.

I understand people's concern believe me I died a little inside...

But Star-San is safe to consume in its diluted form, one of the main ingredients is phosphoric acid which is also in Coke. I tasted a little last night just to see what flavor it would contribute, not much there really.

I checked the PH with strips, the mead was around 3.4 don't know what to take from that.

I once crashed cooled a fermenter that had a blowoff tube in an icecream pail of starsan and I sucked in a lot maybe between a quart to a half gallon. It was an IPA so I kegged it and drank it up. You could not tell whatsoever that Starsan was suck in and the beer was fine right to the end. I now keg my beers first then crash btw.

Why not treat this batch as a starter? Buffer with potassium carbonate, add honey and water to make a larger batch?

Back