When will it stop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birvine

Reaction score
The more I read the more I find new avenues to explore in brewing. Not only did I have to convert my turkey fryer kettle to an HLT and make a keggle... now I have to convert from propane to electric and am finding it absolutely fascinating as I explore the possibilities.

The HBT reading continues. The equipment continues to build. The money keeps getting spent.

Will it ever stop?

B

I am still learning.
-- Michalangelo

It doesn't stop. Heck, I bet Papazian is still figuring out new things every now an then.

I am still learning.
-- Michalangelo

It doesn't stop. Heck, I bet Papazian is still figuring out new things every now an then.

Ya, I know. :)

A scary combination - I have an inquisitive mind that never stops, I enjoy beer, and HBT fuels the fire.

B

That kettle looks nice, wow! another digital thermometer, Kegs, now I'll need a keezer. I think I might try a conical fermenter. Electric brewery? ventilation hood.. Basement brew room. Plumb in a wash basin - with dedicated carboy sprayer. etc etc etc etc.

No, I don't think it will ever end unless my liver gives in!

It stops when you realize you have amazing equipment and still make crappy beer :) Then the equipment upgrading stops and the brewing begins. That, or you pony up for membership, find "that thread" and forget you were here for brewing in the first place. :eek:

The learning and experimenting never stops. The acquisition of new equipment and big ticket spending doesn't have to continue, though.

To answer your question "when will it stop?" can really only be answered by you. When will YOU be satisfied?

If you are like me you not only like to brew beer but build the DIY brewery equipment as well. If you think that is fun, wait until you have a few DIY projects that you come up with on your own. I have had a few decent ones and even a failure but I think I may be onto a new DIY that will make a lot of folks pretty happy around here, I just have to survive the holidays and have the time to work on it. I check the DIY section daily for what others have built and inspiration.

GL and happy brewing! :mug:

I guess I'm not done either. I've got a FIY project in the back of my head as soon as I find where my power tools got hidden. Idk,maybe they fear the Tim Taylor in me? :D I need some fermentation temp control that will go both ways. Just gotta finalize a few things. Otherwise,I only need some minor things from Midwest that'll make things a little easier yet.
Just things that'll streamline my process/get it down more accurately.

If you are like me you not only like to brew beer but build the DIY brewery equipment as well. If you think that is fun, wait until you have a few DIY projects that you come up with on your own. I have had a few decent ones and even a failure but I think I may be onto a new DIY that will make a lot of folks pretty happy around here, I just have to survive the holidays and have the time to work on it. I check the DIY section daily for what others have built and inspiration.

You hit the nail right on the head. The like-to-brew-gene is also the like-to-build-stuff gene. It's all like a puzzle that has to be solved... maybe why calculus was my fave at uni.

Now, about the DIY ideas... hints please?

B

If you have to ask, you don't want to know.

Well, I am a premium member, and based on that comment, it must be in one of the forums that appears only to those members.

Hmmmm...

B

DIY ideas for me are based on what equipment I do not have but I can make a short list for you to check some out...(there is also a "project locator" stickey)

(in no particular order)
Frozen yeast bank
W.H.O.
hop spider
mash paddle
temp controlled fermentation chamber
pump in a box
brew stand
stir plate
grain mill
kezzer/keggerator
immersion chiller
home bar
brew shed/room
hop garden
oast

and that should keep you busy for a good while.

Then you will eventually hear/run across completly closed pressurized fermentation and a few other dandy things that will likely make your head implode for the 1st few reads...

(in no particular order)
Frozen yeast bank
W.H.O.
hop spider
mash paddle
temp controlled fermentation chamber
pump in a box
brew stand
stir plate
grain mill
kezzer/keggerator
immersion chiller
home bar
brew shed/room
hop garden
oast

and that should keep you busy for a good while.

I've done a few of them, and am thinking of learning some building construction to make a brewhouse/shed in the yard. That and the electric setup occupy my little grey cells at the moment!

B

Back