When to raise fermentation temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarksc4

Reaction score
I have 2.5 gal of barleywine, OG 1.105 that is at 1.05 and 5 gal IPA of 1.053 that is at 1.02. Both are in my basement, ambient 50*F and the fermometers read 59-61 for both. When is a good time to allow them to warm up to high 60 to finish off? I'm thinking the IPA is just about ready, but I may need to wait for BW to get below 1.040
The expected FG is 1.020 for BW and 1.015 for IPA

After 5 days in the primary you could let the temperature rise. It is my personal preference to let the temperature rise naturally, but not more than 1° per day. To much of a temperature change could affect the yeasts final attenuation.

My method has been to gradually dismantle the swamp cooler to reduce the cooling effects. I can leave the carboys in my brew area by doing this.

Start by moving the fermentors to a 60° area and then to your living area. Avoid areas of direct heat.

Buckets aren't even in swamp cooler, peak ferm temp was 62. My basement is really cold. Only problem with having it not in the basement is I have two curious toddlers....

Are plastic totes with aquarium heaters, the adjustable type, possible? Here in this small town only non-adjustable are available. Preset for 76°.

Not if you put a bungee cord around it. I rather doubt the average toddler will have the strength and dexterity to unhook that.

I'm guessing you don't have kids. They CONSTANTLY surprise me with what they get into. Sometimes I actually have to think for a couple minutes to figure out how they got into something

Back