When to rack to secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
So I bottled my first brew ever last friday after about 14 days in primary only. That was a cream stout. Now that I've had a German Hefe in primary for 5 days, when should I think about racking to secondary? How much clearer of a beer with this achieve? Thanks!

--Ohms

You really don't need to do a secondary with a Hefe Weizen because the style dictates it is cloudy.

I do lots of HWs and secondaries to get my beer clear. Some people prefer a clear HW. I don't. Doing a secondary gives you both beers. Just do a one-pour for a clear HW or shake up the sediment for a cloudy one.:D

Thanks, I guess I can skip that then... BTW, I noticed you have "Czech Budvar" and not Czechvar, where did you get that recipe? Does it actually taste like Budvar from Budejovice or the stuff they sell in the US? I remember being greatly dissappointed when I returned from the Czech Republic looking for Budvar and tasting Czechvar... Got a recipe for something like Staropramen? Thanks!

--Ohms

Back