When to plant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caljane17

Reaction score
I just bought a Place near bastrop and want to grow some hops. Can anyone tell me when I should plant? Can I do it in February and the plants will start to grow when it's time? Royce

I just bought a Place near bastrop and want to grow some hops. Can anyone tell me when I should plant? Can I do it in February and the plants will start to grow when it's time? Royce

Yes, they'd grow after the last frost, but you probably won't find rhizomes as early as February. Most of the hops growers trim their crowns in the spring, and for some places, spring is as late as May (like me). I think commercial sellers sell them in March/April usually.

I plant actual plants instead of rhizomes and I'm in south central Ohio. I planted May 10 last year and weathered out one really light frost that had no affect. I'll probably plant around the 17 though this year just to be safer.

Latest posts

Back