When to move sours to triciary and off of the fruit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keithww

Reaction score
I brewed about 11.5 gallons of a wheat beer and after 4 days poured in the dregs of a couple of sours I had cultured for a little over a week. I let that sit another couple of weeks, then pours 2 cans of raspberry puree in to a 6 gallon carboy and 1 can of peach and one can of apricot puree in to a second 6 gallon carboy and racked on top of them. Now after a little more than a month in secondary I have a pretty good film on the top of both, but there is also more air than I like in a carboy. The beer level is at the start of the taper at the top of the better bottle.

My question is what is the recommended timing to move off of the fruit and in to a 5 gallon carboy for both of these batches?

I like 3 months on fruit before I bottle. I always use whole fruit, not purée, so your situation might be different. :mug:

IMO you added the fruit too early. Nevertheless, I'd rack to another vessel after 3 months or so and then monitor gravity until it is stable. This beer might need another 6 months

I was planning on 9 to 10 month total bulk aging, with at least 6 months in the bottle. The plan is to have it drinkable for summer of 2018. I've been drinking my beers for the last year with very little brewing, so the plan was to build up to 4 beers with a 12+ time span, brew a couple of summer beers, then brew up a monster barleywine. I just bottled my RIS, these two sours, then after the lawnmower beers a Imperial Blue Moon Clone, that will be the starter for the monster beer

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=616999

Has fermentation kicked up in secondary? If so, the yeast/ bugs will have filled the headspace with CO2. IMO, just don't open the carboys until you need to bottle.

Back