When to give up on smack pack?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PseudoChef

Reaction score
Got a free NB Nut Brown Ale kit that was supposedly kept in the refrigerator since December when received by the initial purchaser. The manufacture date on on the yeast was October but I figured no harm no foul.

Smacked 48 hours ago and no swelling...should I keep waiting? Since it's just an extract brew I can brew any night so scheduling isn't a big issue.

Or, should I go ahead and open and try a starter with more yeast nutrient?

Wondering if anyone else out there has revived a nine month old smacker.

I hope she's not smackin the pack, LOL. I would ditch it and get yourself some fine WLP. 001, 002, 013 ??

I'd definitly wait it out. I just brewed one last weekend that the smack pack took about 24 hours to start to expand and another 12 hours before I thought it was ready. It was dated in March. So October may take a while.

Yeah, like I said, I can brew anytime, so if nothing's swelling by Monday (I know, I know...mind outta the gutter:off: ) I will try the starter.

Are you sure you smacked it? If it's your first time, It's hard to tell if you popped it or not. You mighta thinked you popped it, when you didn't really pop it, cause if you didn't pop it, you ain't gonna see any swelling. :D

EdWort said:
Are you sure you smacked it? If it's your first time, It's hard to tell if you popped it or not. You mighta thinked you popped it, when you didn't really pop it, cause if you didn't pop it, you ain't gonna see any swelling. :D

I can't feel the inside pouch anymore, so I'm pretty sure I got it.

I had one wyeast smack pack that was 1 year past the best before date.
I had one week until brew day - and decided to smack it thinking that if it doesn't work, I got some dry yeast subsitute.
It didn't swell for 3 days, then balloned on the fourth day.....

Cheers.

I used an October Wyeast Activator for a beer about a month ago. Took 2 days to swell, but it fully inflated. Aerated and pitched. Nothing happening 24 hours later. I aerated 15 min and pitched a new yeast. Fermentation commenced within 12 hours.

Pitched into a quart starter of 1.040 grav wort. Activity within the hour...will let it keep sitting for 3-4 days to up the viable cell count.

Just updating for anyone else wondering if a 10 month old yeast packet works. (Hopefully the actual ferm. will be fine!)

PseudoChef said:
Pitched into a quart starter of 1.040 grav wort. Activity within the hour...will let it keep sitting for 3-4 days to up the viable cell count.

Just updating for anyone else wondering if a 10 month old yeast packet works. (Hopefully the actual ferm. will be fine!)

If your worried about cell counts past that you can throw more starter on top of it (cooled of course). Which if it's that old might be a good idea.

I'll step it up one more time, then. Thanks for the advice. (I started with 2 cups, then stepped up with 2 more cups after a day)

Back