When to dry hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hedley

Reaction score
Hi brewers,

I am following this recipe for an extract IPA, and am just wondered at what stage I should add in the Amarillo hops for 0 minutes. I understand this is the dry hopping stage. I think I read somewhere that I should throw them in 4 days before bottling (I am fermenting in primary for two weeks, then bottling). Is that right?

For 5 gallons:

7 lbs Muntons extra light DME
1 oz Warrior or Magnum hops (60 min)
2 oz Amarillo hops (10 min)
2 oz Amarillo hops (0 min)
Safale US-05

Kind regards,

Ross

They are hops you add at flame out, hence 0 minutes. If they were dry hops, i'd guess they'd have X days next to them.

However i'd buy another couple of ozs of hops to dry hop with once you get close to you FG. Its strange not to an IPA with a DH charge

Seconding the above. 0 minutes means the hops go in at flameout and steep while you chill the wort. Dry hop time in recipes is measured by X days in the fermenter and they are usually added X days before packaging. Many brewers suggest adding dry hops at the tail end (last 10% or so) of fermentation which could vary from three days to a couple weeks from yeast pitch, but waiting 10-14 days from brewday and then adding your dry hops and packaging anywhere from 2-7 days later is a solid schedule that most brewers adhere to.

And yes, as @andrewf1985 said, adding a couple oz of hops (probably Amarillo to keep with the recipe, but there are many good options) as a dry hop would make a big difference in this recipe. At worst, taking half an ounce from each of the late additions for a 1 oz dry hop would help.

Thanks people.

Ah right. I should have added at flameout. If I add 2oz Amarillo in about 10 days, and then bottle after another 4, do you think that will be okay? (For clarity, I did add 2oz Amarillo for the last ten mins of the boil).

Cheers,

Ross

Try 2oz on this batch and if you feel you need more, up it on the next batch. You cant over DH but you might find you get the flavour your after

I see, so you already brewed the beer and left out the flameout hops. This won't kill your brew so don't worry too much, but it will make a difference. If it's not a lot of trouble for you to get a couple more ounces of Amarillo or a complementary hop to bump up the dry hop, do it. If that's going to be a problem, just dry hop with the 2 oz of Amarillo and see how you like the resulting brew. It'll probably be a bit light on the hops for an American style IPA but you should find that serving it around 10-12C will make a big positive difference over pulling it straight out of the fridge and drinking it at 1-2C.

Thanks. I do have 4oz Amarillo so I will bung that all in as I would like a fairly punchy hoppy flavour. I may even have a little more that 4oz Amarillo. Worth putting more in?

Sorry to hijack this thread, first post in the forum and didn't want to create a new topic.

First brew in primary (a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone, care of my LHBS and their seemingly excellent list of clone recipes).

Have 20g of Cascade to dry hop. Aiming to dump trub around day 10-12, and add hops for a week.

Does this sound right? I've read conflicting timelines for dry hopping even on this forum. Some saying 4 days, others saying 7.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Jettison,
7 days sounds just fine to me. There's lots of reading out there arguing 3-4 days versus as many as 14... In my experience, 7-10 days has worked just fine. No grassy undertones and plenty of aroma.

I'd do 7.

Make a hop tea...Boil some water and then steep the hops that was supposed to be your flameout addition until it comes down to room temperature. Add to your fermenter. Should come very close to mimicking a flameout addition.

Latest posts

Back