When to cold crash while pressure fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer666

Reaction score
Hope this is in the right place. I am pressure fermenting a 1037 OG rice lager which started at 16c and now is at 20c. Its still only 10 days old but clearing and the krausen has dispersed. Spunding valve is set to 20 psi. I want to know when the beer is ready to crash as there are still bubbles coming out. Wondering if its actually co2 coming out as it does lookm like fermentation has finished. Anyway i am short of beer duew to one of my fridges packing up and dont want to run out. Normally leave lagers for 3 weeks before crashing but i generally ferment cold. At least i was until the frisge broke. Would it help if i posted a photo. Cheers all. :)

A gravity reading and yeast type would help.
I pressure fermented my rice lager at about 30 Celsius with kveik then let it fall naturally with heater off for a couple of days. During that phase let the pressure rise to 30 psi and then cold crashed. Then transfer finings under pressure and closed transfer when clear ready to drink, did improve as keg got drunk.

bumping this, currently have a rice lager running right now on 34/70 that i'd like to start to spund during d-rest. likely would drop temp on day 12-14 and let it ride for 6 weeks under pressure. any feedback?

I'd let pressure rise before d rest to target pressure for vols desired at that temp.
Then cold crash and lager as you say, can you transfer closed off the bulk of the yeast before lagering?

I used crossmyloof hell lager yeast. 2 packs which took 2 days to do much even at 16c. Bumped up to 18c then 20c. Its 11 days old today. started at 1038 and is now down to aproximately 1005. Perhaps lower as i didn't degas the sample. Beer looks reasonable clear so crashing it for 3 days then adding finings. My normal cold fermentation takes 21 days so this is much shorter
20220802_142813.jpg

20220802_123308.jpg

I'd let pressure rise before d rest to target pressure for vols desired at that temp.
Then cold crash and lager as you say, can you transfer closed off the bulk of the yeast before lagering?

I cant transfer unfortuanetely until its ready as now short of fridge space.

Back