When To Bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatmarmot

Reaction score
I am 8 days into a Nut Brown Ale (my first brew) which began with a starter yeast and multiple airlock blow offs. I got bubbling in the airlock halfway into the fifth day and a day 6 gravity reading of .016. A professional brewer (also homebrewer) that I know casually suggested just letting the beer remain in the carboy (glass, covered, in dark) until a 12th day. Any feelings about whether or not waiting this long is okay?

Warm Regards,
Fatmarmot

I am 8 days into a Nut Brown Ale (my first brew) which began with a starter yeast and multiple airlock blow offs. I got bubbling in the airlock halfway into the fifth day and a day 6 gravity reading of .016. A professional brewer (also homebrewer) that I know casually suggested just letting the beer remain in the carboy (glass, covered, in dark) until a 12th day. Any feelings about whether or not waiting this long is okay?

Warm Regards,
Fatmarmot

Up to 12 days is more than fine- I'd say it's preferable. Even longer, if you want to wait until the beer is nice and clear before bottling. Remember the more crud in the beer when you put it in the bottle, the more crud you'll have IN the bottle. My preference is to bottle when the gravity is unchanging over at least three days, AND the beer is clear. That could be by day 10, but more often it's more like 14-21 days.

12 days is not long at all. If anything I would say it's too short. Many of us leave our beers in the primary fermenter for 3-4 weeks. The extra time will help clean up any off flavors in your beer.

Also, when you say you used a starter yeast, do you mean a yeast starter like this? If not then you should use them. 5 days is a long time for airlock activity to start, and the starter will help speed that up.

I'd let it wait another few days, it'll probably drop another couple points. I know it's tough but if you bottle too early you risk over caring and the possibility of exploding bottles. Check the gravity again on the 12th day, and the day after that, and the day after that to make it's not still fermenting. If it stays steady then you're good to go.

I would let it sit for an extra week or two (4 weeks total). And after being here a while I would always listen to Yooper, she is full of helpful information.

My original beer kit instructions said to leave the beer in primary for two weeks and then bottle. I've followed that advice for over one hundred batches now and it has worked perfectly every batch.

This site is great. Thanks everyone. It's reassuring to know I'm still on the right track...with your advice. I'll keep all your suggestions in mind.

Billy Broas, yes I did mean yeast starter. A relative and well know brewer clued me in to that. Your video is one of the best tutorials for yeast starter I have seen.

Latest posts

Back