when to add Yeast Nutrient to wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeg77

Reaction score
I have added yeast nutrient to the must before fermentation while the Potassium Metabisulfite was doing its work. Should I also add while it is fermenting? It has been a few days a fermentation is starting to slow down. Just wondering if this will give it a boost to help finish the job or if I should just let it be. I have read online where people add nutrient to basically all the stages pre fermentation, during and in secondary. I would like some experineced advise on this.

Thanks..

I usually just add some nutrient at the beginning, and that's it. It would depend on what you're making, though- I make alot of fruit wines, and the fruit usually has enough nutrients already in it. If you were making a wine with something that tended to be nutrient deficient, you could certainly add more. What are you making, and what's the recipe?

Thanks. I think I'll just leave the nutrients I already added then. I'm making a cabernet Franc and am kind of winging the recipe.. Trying to keep it pretty simple..

Back