When to add tincture

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodmansee

Reaction score
Quick question for some with experience:
I am making a rum vanilla porter with oak chips. I decided the best way to do it was to make a tincture with the rum, vanilla, and oak chips. Tincture has been soaking for about 3weeks and I'd say it's ready whenever (smells and tastes good) but when should I add it to the beer?
My plan has been to add it at the time of kegging (about a week from now) but I want to serve this beer at a party about a week after that. Will that be enough time for the flavors to meld?
My thinking is the tincture will make this possible but I could always add it now. Just looking for opinions!

Thanks in advance!

"Melding" is a euphemism for "aging out the defects", imo.
Racking the beer on top of the tincture in the keg is a good plan.

The larger problem might be getting the beer carbed up in a week.
You'll need to do some kind of accelerated carbonation because "set and forget" will take another week and a half to reach equilibrium...

Cheers!

Meld wasn't really the perfect word there I'm just wondering if there would be any flavor advantage of getting the mixture into the beer earlier. Obviously without the tincture that would be the case.

I have had success with the high pressure and roll the keg method in the past and will likely use it again. Aiming to be in the 2.25 vols range

Back