When to add oak?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merkinman

Reaction score
I have a Belgian blonde (1.045) that I fermented to FG with 1214 and then bugged with a culture of dregs from Oro de Calabaza, Weizen Bam, Orval, and Oud Beersel Oud Kriek.

I was planning on letting it sit for eight months and then add a small quantity of oak for the final four, but wonder if I should have added the oak with the bugs ( it just seemed like a long time in contact with the wood).

Thoughts?
cheers.
Thanks.
:mug:

First of all it depends what type of Oak and what size/shape.

I add my Oak early on, but I use less than most. In my darker mid strength sours I have liked about 1 oz for 5 gallons using French Oak cubes. The beer is usually on the cubes for a year. I think the longer the contact the more complex flavor you extract. Depending on the type of Oak you will get more vanilla or coconut ..

Also I don't think you are getting any less flavor contribution between 4 months or 8 months. Just a bit different overall flavor.

Latest posts

Back