Adding complex sugars to seconday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brif

Reaction score
Got a Blonde Ale that I am cold crashing/clearing now, and I am going to put a gallon of it in secondary for long-term souring/aging.
The beer is at FG of 1.011, and I plan to pitch only dregs from JP and Crooked Stave.
My question is, at 1.011, would you just pitch the dregs and age, or would you add some sort of complex sugars to the beer prior to pitching dregs to feed the brett & bugs for long term?
If making an addition, what do most use, and how much for 1 gallon.

I know a lot of this is dependent on how much "sour" you want in the finished product, etc.
Just looking for a sense for what others are doing in this circumstance, adding sugars or not, quantities, why, etc.

(For this specific beer I am looking for what I would consider a moderate level of sour (CS-Surette), as well as a little barnyard funk.)

Thanks!

I did something similar with a few gallons of an extract blonde about four years ago. My first foray into sours. 3 x 1 gallon jugs of finished blonde got different dregs. One of the jugs also got a dose of pomegranate concentrate (syrup) I pick up at an Armenian market. The one with the adjunct had an off flavor for years that eventually mellowed out. The other two had a really pleasant light sourness after bottling and only improved with age.

I say just pitch the dregs and let them do their thing. Toss in a few oak cubes too if you have them.

Thanks Yeroc! I am going to do some oak cubes as well, but I was going to wait until later in the game. Did you put the oak cubes in at beginning of secondary?
How long did you age, how many cubes did you use for one gallon, and were you happy with the oak character?

Thanks Yeroc! I am going to do some oak cubes as well, but I was going to wait until later in the game. Did you put the oak cubes in at beginning of secondary?
How long did you age, how many cubes did you use for one gallon, and were you happy with the oak character?

I had to go back to check my notes. I only put in one cube per jug so I probably didn't get much oak flavor. If doing it again, I'd probably use 4 or 5 cubes. The jugs were bottled at different times. I pulled small samples to taste using a straw starting at six months. One jug was bottled at six months, another at seven months, and the last at eight months. According to notes, I did perceive a difference in taste at those intervals. I cracked open a few bottles within a few months of bottling but most were drank after being bottled for two to three years. As you often hear, the last bottles were the best.

Good luck with your project!

Back