When to add fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhelegda

Reaction score
I have a wheat beer fermenting in the closet for about a week now, I am going to add raspberries and secondary ferment. There is no active fermentation happening as per the air lock (I watched it for about 15 minutes this morning) would you add raspberries now or let it settle for another week before adding...what are the pros and cons of doing it now or waiting?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

quick question have you taken another gravity reading? Or if you do a secondary fermentation toss raspberries into that.

If I was putting the beer in a competitions would but it's just for me to drink.

Sounds like you are ok. Mainly just make sure your primary fermentation is complete. Clean up your fruit maybe slice it up to help move flavors out. May be a good idea to put fruit in a muslin bag it would make cleanup much easier. Rack beer on top of it. I guess there is a chance of fermentation to pick up again when adding fruit. Clean fruit throughly. Make sure you have enough room in your secondary fermenter just incase. Tell us how it goes.

sounds like a long a$$ 15 minutes. I've used a 5 gallon paint strainer bag (sanitized) and just added the fruit. That way its contained and can be removed easily.

I am using sanitized purée I bought at the beer store. I'm just going to pour it in the bottom of the fermenter I use a muslin bag on my auto syphon.

It's been racked and sitting on the fruit for a week now. Would you rack it to the keg now or let it sit on the fruit for another week?

Back