When to add fruit juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BertusBrew

Reaction score
I planned to make a Sour Apple Rye Ale using Roeselare. Most likely this will be aging at least 1 year. After listening to the most recent episode of The Brewing Network: The Session I have decided to add 1 gallon of apple juice boiled down into a syrup. Dave from Flat Tail Brewing discussed this technique for getting great flavor, but didn't really go into specifics on when to add the apple syrup. When do you think I should add it? I was thinking of adding it maybe a month or so before bottling. Thoughts?...

I planned to make a Sour Apple Rye Ale using Roeselare. Most likely this will be aging at least 1 year. After listening to the most recent episode of The Brewing Network: The Session I have decided to add 1 gallon of apple juice boiled down into a syrup. Dave from Flat Tail Brewing discussed this technique for getting great flavor, but didn't really go into specifics on when to add the apple syrup. When do you think I should add it? I was thinking of adding it maybe a month or so before bottling. Thoughts?...

A month or so before bottling sounds appropriate to me. It won't take the critters too long to get through the sugars in juice given how readily accessible they'll be, and you won't have to worry about too much of the fruit character being lost given that short of a time period.

Back