When to add "finishing" yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hman0217

Reaction score
Hello friends

Just getting back into brewing after a 13-year hiatus and am new to the meadmaking world.

I just started my second mead. Rather than pitch fresh yeast, I did this by using two-week old must & lees from my first mead - a low gravity session mead - added to a fresh batch of honey and water. Thing is I grossly miscalculated and instead of my intended 11% ABV target, we're looking at breaking 15%. The SG for this batch would be the equivalent of 1.136 if I'd started fresh. The Safale US-05 isn't going to finish this off from what I've researched.

So...my plan is to add EC-1118 to make sure I can finish this off. My question is when should I add it?

My understanding is that the drawback of EC-1118 is the large amount of fusels it creates, which would make me inclined to add it once the Safale has just about crapped out, perhaps in a generous amount of fresh must.

But I also don't want to wait too long while the Safale lees is breaking down creating off flavors. Which would make me more inclined to add it exactly two weeks from when fermentation kicked off, regardless of OG

I would like to hear your thoughts please

Thanks

Last edited:
Hello friends

Just getting back into brewing after a 13-year hiatus and am new to the meadmaking world.

I just started my second mead. Rather than pitch fresh yeast, I did this by using two-week old must & lees from my first mead - a low gravity session mead - added to a fresh batch of honey and water. Thing is I grossly miscalculated and instead of my intended 11% ABV target, we're looking at breaking 15%. The SG for this batch would be the equivalent of 1.136 if I'd started fresh. The Safale US-05 isn't going to finish this off from what I've researched.

So...my plan is to add EC-1118 to make sure I can finish this off. My question is when should I add it?

My understanding is that the drawback of EC-1118 is the large amount of fusels it creates, which would make me inclined to add it once the Safale has just about crapped out, perhaps in a generous amount of fresh must.

But I also don't want to wait too long while the Safale lees is breaking down creating off flavors. Which would make me more inclined to add it exactly two weeks from when fermentation kicked off, regardless of OG

I would like to hear your thoughts please

Thanks
I used EC-1118 in 14-18% meads and never got any fusels.

I would add the EC1118 as soon as I could. You might want to consider Red Stars Cote Des Blancs as another option. Good nutrient additions and stir a couple times a day to 1/2 sugar break. EC1118 or Cote should out perform the safale and replace the Safeale.

I did the exact same thing a few years back with a session mead that went south (first attempt at a BOMM) trying yhr recommended ale yeast and it fermented to 1.004 with the EC1118.

Latest posts

Back