When to add 5.2ph stabilizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the directions are to stir it directly into the mash. It doesn't make much of a difference because the product doesn't really work.

I think the directions are to stir it directly into the mash. It doesn't make much of a difference because the product doesn't really work.

It works extremely well unless you have excessive carbonates in your water.

Re the OP: I usually sprinkle it onto the grain before adding the strike water, and add some more to the sparge water. I use about 1/2 what the directions call for in total to minimize the phosphoric flavors it sometimes generates.

It works extremely well unless you have excessive carbonates in your water.

Re the OP: I usually sprinkle it onto the grain before adding the strike water, and add some more to the sparge water. I use about 1/2 what the directions call for in total to minimize the phosphoric flavors it sometimes generates.

It certainly doesn't work as advertised under any circumstances and specifically not in distilled water mashes I did to test it.

To the OP, if you are concerned with mash pH, start here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/brewing-water-chemistry-primer-198460/

I nearly quit homebrewing because of the 5.2 product. I was getting the common off flavors from improper mash pH and I literally spent more than a year tweaking literally every aspect of my process trying to get it right. I ignored mash pH because I already addressed that issue by using a product that magically set the pH at 5.2 for me. Little did I know that product did not work AT ALL (at least it didn't for me). I was frustrated to the point where I nearly sold off all of my gear. I decided to research water chemistry as a last ditch effort knowing that was basically the only thing I hadn't addressed. After I tasted my first batch with adjusted water I knew instantly that mash pH was my problem all along. The plus side was by the time I figured this out I was a really refined home brewer. I'm glad I didn't quit!

PS. If you want to consistently make great all grain beer, a pH meter is one of the most important pieces of equipment that you can have. Probably third to your boil kettle and mash tun.

Back