When should I add the ingredients to my boiling pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duffman53

Reaction score
Hello all,

I know this is kind of a dumb question but can someone clarify when I should add my ingredients to my boiling pot? Many recipes just say add your ingredients to the water and boil for x number of minutes.

Should I bring the water to a boil first and then add my ingredients or add my ingredients at the beginning and bring the whole concoction to a boil?

Also, does keeping your malt in boiling water for a longer period of time do anything to break down the sugars and produce a higher original gravity? Are there any pros or cons of boiling your wort longer?

Thanks,
Duffman53

An extract recipe I assume. As the water approaches boil, turn off flame, add extract, stir well to thoroughly dissolve. Return to heat, bring to boil. Add hops according to recipe schedule. Boil 60 minutes. A longer boil will mess with the hop extraction, but will do nothing to the gravity.

I was under the impression if you boil longer that you will lose more in boil off so it will indeed raise your gravity. Can someone with more experience correct me if I am wrong here? Seems the water boils off leaving more sugar in less solution thus upping the gravity. YEs?

I was under the impression if you boil longer that you will lose more in boil off so it will indeed raise your gravity. Can someone with more experience correct me if I am wrong here? Seems the water boils off leaving more sugar in less solution thus upping the gravity. YEs?

Yes, you are correct, BUT usually you would top off with water to make a 5 gallon batch. If so, the gravity of you wort will be unaffected by how long you boil.

Latest posts

Back