When is primary fermentation over?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snook32

Reaction score
I use Beersmith to brew with, it tells you the expected SG when primary is completed. I have been going by the readings and I get a varying amount of days with each batch, some lasting as short as 3 days and up to 10 days on some. The beer is turning out great. I read alot where people are in primary for 2 weeks or longer as a standard practice for all their beers. Should you go by SG readings or a set time?

I typically wait a 7-10 days, then rack into a secondary to clear some more and or dry hop (if applicable) for 2 weeks, and bottle and wait 3 weeks more...this is known as the 1-2-3 grain to glass among a lot of homebrewers. Hope this helps.

SG tells u when its ready, my above post is more of a guidline than a rule. Don't rush the beer if its not ready

Recipes and beer smith will tell you an expected final SG, but it is possible for beers to go much lower then expected. Therefore it is best to wait until the SG stays steady for a few days. Or as many of us do, just wait a few weeks then you can be relatively sure it is done.

normally your gravity number will always tell you when the primary/log phase is done, but every beer is different and as well as mash enviroment, such as temp, duration etc. but long story short if you get the estimated number for sugar conversion then your primary is considered done. there are many rituals but the bottom line your hydrometer will tell you everything, but look for other processes they may also help.

Latest posts

Back