When is my beer clear?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaughnessy

Reaction score
Noob question I know. I decided to make an ipa for my first beer. After 10 days in primary I decided to dry hop in secondary. It was really cloudy for a while, now it's more of just a dark Carmel color with a huge layer of sediment on the bottom of carboy. It's been in secondary for 11 days. The hydrometer read 1.010 eleven days ago. Has my beer reached it's maximum level of clarity or should I wait a bit longer? Either way I'm sure it's ready to bottle.
Next question.
I'm bottling my first batch. After adding the priming sugar and bottling how long do I wait to achieve desired carbonation?
Thank in advance.

3 weeks after bottleing is the norm. Take a hydrometer reading and if it is still 1.010 then your ready to go. I bet that it is ready to go!

I'm guessing it will still clear up some more, though it definitely is good for bottling now. You can get desired carbonation in 2 weeks. Believe me though, waiting at least 3 weeks is way better. The green bite will mellow out and the flavors of the beer become more developed and pronounced.

I used to be over eager and do 2 week carbonations, but after a few batches I started really noticing the difference and wait at least 3 weeks. There's never any harm in trying 1 bottle though after two weeks to see how it's going. It satisfies your impatience and doesn't hurt your stock of brew. :mug:

Latest posts

Back