When is gelatan beneficial?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertbartsch

Reaction score
So this will only remove yeast and not other items causing a haze from suspension. When is gelatan added; when the fermentation is complete? You do not boil the gelatan; right?

I use Irish moss and it works fairly well. ...just wondering if gelatan would be good too.

My PM seem to have more haze then extract only batches.

Do a search for "gelatin" and it will yield you a lot of results, like this one:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/going-use-gelatin-need-advice-179911/

Then you can use the "similar threads" at the bottom of the page to further peruse the topic.

As for my experience? I recently gelatin-ed a fruit beer that I made, and when bottling it it appeared very clear. But, I don't know what it would have looked like otherwise. My verdict is it can't hurt unless you boil it, in which case you'll make beer jello.

I boiled gelatin before I new how to properly use it and it doesn't make your beer into jello. I heard this on a pod cast years ago and emailed them asking if it was true because I was boiling it and never had jello beer. Their reply was “we were joking around”. We need myth busters to do a show on this…lol

Back