When is beer ready to carbonate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pete20

Reaction score
I just removed the dry hops from my latest IPA and also checked the gravity. It's at my target 1.010 even though it's only been two weeks since brew day and I'm wondering if it's OK to begin carbonating it?

Usually I do one week in primary, and then two in secondary before hooking up CO2 to force carbonate it. Do you think it will hurt the quality of the beer if I begin carbonation a week early?

Do you think it will hurt the quality of the beer if I begin carbonation a week early?

nope fermentation is done and yeast cleanup is done so go ahead and force carb in a keg which if you leave it at 10-12 psi by the time its done carbing the beer will be good

Carbonation wont hurt your beer. Just remember if your carbing your beer cold it will take longer to condition. Although I like my IPAs young...

I'm drinking an IPA that I kegged last week, and stuck in the kegerator. It was brewed on October 21. It was great last week, but it's even better now.

If it's done, it can be kegged at any time. If it's "green", and needs some age, keep it at room temperature for a week or two. Beer ages faster at room temperature.

Back