When Does High Krausen End So I Can Start Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mad32brewing

Reaction score
So I brewed a double IPA on Saturday and pitched a 1.5L yeast starter into. Fermentation kicked off within 6 hours. For my hop schedule, I will start dry hopping 1 day after high krausen falls. However, I am fermenting in a plastic bucket, so I can't see what's going on inside. How long should I wait to open up the bucket and start my dry hopping schedule? I am writing this Monday morning.

If your airlock is bubbling (sometimes buckets have a leak and there is no airlock activity), I would try to guess when the airlock starts to slow down and call that the end of high krausen. If you can't tell, my guess is anywhere between 2-4 days post pitch would work out for you.

I would guess, 3-4 days. You didn’t say what yeast, or what temp you are at. Those 2 things have a big impact on how fast/slow things happen. I would dry hop after 3 days. You want some fermentation going to to scrub the O2 when you open the bucket. I’d open it just enough to get them in, and close it quickly.

For me in most cases 3 days of active fermentation and it's starting to fall. That said, I no longer dry hop then; I'm now waiting for fermentation to be done and cold crash to drop a lot of yeast out of suspension, then raise temp back up to 60 or so and dry hop. I'm getting MUCH better aroma with that procedure. Follow that up with a closed transfer into your serving keg to keep out oxygen exposure to a minimum.

I'm in the same pickle. I brewed on Friday night (pitched the yeast to 5 gal of IPA around 2am Saturday) and still some krause is going through the airlock, however, not much activity. I think I'll start dry hopping tomorrow (tue) or wed. morning.

I also have some golden ale I brewed on Saturday afternoon and the krausen is already settling.

Back