When does Crushed Grain Go Bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KuntzBrewing

Reaction score
I bough quite a few batches worth of grain and had it crushed back in March, well I was taking 20 credit hours to get my degree, graduated, and got a job at Chrysler where I spend the majority of each day. Needless to say, I've had a bag of crushed grain sitting for a 3 months, its gonna be used for a sour beer, (not that it matters). How do I know if it is still good? Eat it (I mean a handful to judge taste/stale-ness)? Brew it when I get the chance and taste the young beer?
Thanks,
Corbin

It's fine. I buy bulk. I have grain older than that I have brewed great beer with. Don't believe the hype. As long as the bag is tied your fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Depends on how it was stored, moisture content, temperature. Generally a couple of months and you are still good, but you can learn a lot by smelling it. If it still smells fresh then no worries.

I have used grains over a year old that were stored uncrushed in an airtight plastic container. They were just fine and the beer was great.

3 months is probably ok even if not stored in an air tight container as long as the humidity was not too high, and it has not gotten wet.

Like the others say - eat a sample. Thats the best indicator

Dryness is the most important factor, in very low humidity grains last a long time, your time period should be fine if they are very dry.

Back