Old Crushed Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhillyBrewDoug

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All,

As an apartment brewer, I normally get my grains crushed when I picked them up from the LHBS and then brew that day to limit staling as much as possible. Given that the store is in Brooklyn and taking the subway isn't a great idea right now, I've had them crush and ship orders to me. Unfortunately, my plans to brew a while back fell through, and I still have the grains for the recipe just sitting...

I've never used old pre-crushed grains before, and was wondering, other than throwing them out, if there's anything else I could do with them. Never-spent grain bread?

Any and all ideas appreciated.

If they were properly sealed why not just brew with it. How old are they? I've kept milled grain over a week and brewed with it and it was fine .

If they were properly sealed why not just brew with it. How old are they?

They're still in the plastic bag they were shipped in, which is just closed by a twist-tie. The real bummer is it's been almost a month since they were crushed. I ended up buying grains again for my brew session this past weekend when I realized how long it had been.

They're still in the plastic bag they were shipped in, which is just closed by a twist-tie. The real bummer is it's been almost a month since they were crushed. I ended up buying grains again for my brew session this past weekend when I realized how long it had been.

Ah . Well you could do an exbeeriment and brew it and log your info down. It be interesting to see what the effects are of month old milled grain .

Open the bag and smell. If they smell good, brew with them.

Latest posts

Back