When do you label?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
During the first year or so of your brewing career. After that, it’ll either be a something scribbled on the cap with a Sharpie or kegging. :D

Actually, ive been brewing for a year..... doing the sharpie thing, want to try to make a label though

While the bottled beers are conditioning is fine. I do not normally bother with labels, but when I do the printer paper with milk "glue" has worked well for me.

I've labeled after letting the bottles dry as well. I usually fill, cap, rinse and then either wipe dry or just move to a place to let them air dry. Then after a day or so I label.

But really, I haven't labeled in a LONG time. I do have a couple of label ideas I will be doing soon.

(Still in diapers when it comes to brewing... with that said).

I put labels on anything that I brew over 2 1/2 gallons, or a case worth. Then I put a label on no more than 6, mainly for when I take it to a friend's house. Otherwise, I throw a label on the box holding the bottles, and rotate cap tops colors and sharpie those that don't have labels.

I label a day after filling after wiping down the bottle with a bar cloth.

I haven't labeled anything in my 2.5 years of home brewing. But I now have a growing stock of meads, as well as an 8 bottle wine cellar that is filling up for serious aging (last bottle/ special batches etc). So I'll be making labels to go specifically on those bottles. But the other stuff gets the sharpie code on a cap.

If I need to (and want to) I print address return labels 1.75" x 1/2" on the laser printer. Has my logo, name of beer and date brewed.

Sharpie on the caps otherwise.

The couple of times I've done it, after I've bottled and the bottles are dry. Milk does the trick.

Back