When do I add campden tablets during all grain Brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the chemical reaction between the Camden and the chlorine/chloramine is instantaneous. You don't have to wait 24 hours for it to work. The 24 hour thing is if you are trying to let the chlorine bleed out of the water on it's own...the problem is, if it is chloramine instead of chlorine...it's still going to be there.

Last edited:
Ok, I was told 24 hours, if it’s instantaneous that’s even better

I’ve never used Camden tablets in beer brewing. In wine, yes. But never beer.

One tablet is supposed to be enough for 20 gallons so you could just use a quarter tablet for 5 gallons. It shouldn't hurt to use the half tablet though.

Yeah i only suggested half because a quarter might be hard to break off, i tried to break up a quarter tablet when i was still brewing on city water, was like nah half a tab is fine lmao

What if i add a whole tablet 20 minutes before the end of the boil? Will this mess with my fermentation? Yeast was not pitched for atleast an hour and a half after tablet went in

What if i add a whole tablet 20 minutes before the end of the boil? Will this mess with my fermentation? Yeast was not pitched for atleast an hour and a half after tablet went in
You forgot to add it at the right time?
I suspect it will neither help nor hurt by adding it during the boil. The sulfite is volatile and will probably boil away before interacting with all the chlorine/chloramine.

The 24 hour thing is because it can inhibit the yeast. It will eventually take off anyway.
Interacting…? How so? I use half a tablet per 5 gallons everytime. I add during the heat up of my strike. I add my salts shortly after. I do my normal process, and have activity in my blow off usually within 15-18 hours. Sometimes less if I do a starter. Not sure if that would be less if your statement is true? Sooner it starts the better.

About a year ago I moved to using k-meta powder instead of the tablets; cutting/crushing the tablets is a minor PITA. With the powder you can use less. I use 1/8tsp for a 5g batch (about 14 gallons between strike/sparge water). When I was using tablets I used a whole tablet, crushed, in my HLT that I filled with enough water for both strike and sparge. I've read that you really can't overdose with campden; yes they say one tablet will treat 20 gallons, but it will not hurt your beer to use one tablet for a 5g batch. Do NOT inhale that stuff, either; it's nasty, like sticking a sulfur match up your nose. I have mine in a plastic container, and just opening it I have to keep it far far away from my face.

+1 for using the K-Meta powder. ^
1/4 teaspoon for 20 gallons of water. Stir well to mix it in, it dissolves almost instantly!
Even using twice to quadrupel as much won't harm anything.

I've tried using camden twice by adding it to my water in advance of the mash and each time i can't get the wort to fermet. How long does Camden stick around and prevent yeast from fermenting? Is the camden i use to remove chlorine killing my yeast before it ever gets started?

I've tried using camden twice by adding it to my water in advance of the mash and each time i can't get the wort to fermet. How long does Camden stick around and prevent yeast from fermenting? Is the camden i use to remove chlorine killing my yeast before it ever gets started?
How much campden are you adding to how much water. It takes an extreme overdose (vs. what is required to remove chlorine/chloramine) in order to harm yeast. 50mg per gal of water is more than enough for removing chlorine/chloramine.

Brew on :mug:

I add 1 tablet into my mash and sparge water, the night before i brew (typically 25L & 8L). I use a Braumeister (20 litre) and fill it, and my 8 litre sparge water pot, the night before I brew. I split the single tablet between the 2 vessels. I usually start my brewday at 7am.

Back