When do I add campden tablets during all grain Brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

Ruint

Going NoWhere fast
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
the chemical reaction between the Camden and the chlorine/chloramine is instantaneous. You don't have to wait 24 hours for it to work. The 24 hour thing is if you are trying to let the chlorine bleed out of the water on it's own...the problem is, if it is chloramine instead of chlorine...it's still going to be there.

Last edited:

jalc6927

Reaction score
Ok, I was told 24 hours, if it’s instantaneous that’s even better

bjanu

Reaction score
I’ve never used Camden tablets in beer brewing. In wine, yes. But never beer.

Rhaop

Reaction score
One tablet is supposed to be enough for 20 gallons so you could just use a quarter tablet for 5 gallons. It shouldn't hurt to use the half tablet though.

Yeah i only suggested half because a quarter might be hard to break off, i tried to break up a quarter tablet when i was still brewing on city water, was like nah half a tab is fine lmao

forallthesyn33

Reaction score
What if i add a whole tablet 20 minutes before the end of the boil? Will this mess with my fermentation? Yeast was not pitched for atleast an hour and a half after tablet went in

RPh_Guy

Bringing Sour Back
Reaction score
What if i add a whole tablet 20 minutes before the end of the boil? Will this mess with my fermentation? Yeast was not pitched for atleast an hour and a half after tablet went in
You forgot to add it at the right time?
I suspect it will neither help nor hurt by adding it during the boil. The sulfite is volatile and will probably boil away before interacting with all the chlorine/chloramine.

ike8228

Reaction score
The 24 hour thing is because it can inhibit the yeast. It will eventually take off anyway.
Interacting…? How so? I use half a tablet per 5 gallons everytime. I add during the heat up of my strike. I add my salts shortly after. I do my normal process, and have activity in my blow off usually within 15-18 hours. Sometimes less if I do a starter. Not sure if that would be less if your statement is true? Sooner it starts the better.

seatazzz

Well-Known Bloviator & Pontificator
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
About a year ago I moved to using k-meta powder instead of the tablets; cutting/crushing the tablets is a minor PITA. With the powder you can use less. I use 1/8tsp for a 5g batch (about 14 gallons between strike/sparge water). When I was using tablets I used a whole tablet, crushed, in my HLT that I filled with enough water for both strike and sparge. I've read that you really can't overdose with campden; yes they say one tablet will treat 20 gallons, but it will not hurt your beer to use one tablet for a 5g batch. Do NOT inhale that stuff, either; it's nasty, like sticking a sulfur match up your nose. I have mine in a plastic container, and just opening it I have to keep it far far away from my face.

IslandLizard

Progressive Brewing
Staff member
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
+1 for using the K-Meta powder. ^
1/4 teaspoon for 20 gallons of water. Stir well to mix it in, it dissolves almost instantly!
Even using twice to quadrupel as much won't harm anything.