When did this ferment?!?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandona33

Reaction score
Brewed up a batch of Brown Ale on Sunday (3/30) and took the OG @ 1.056. Thru Tuesday night I haven't seen the airlock bubble once. Wednesday still no activity. I followed a recipe I have made 2 times previously and it was great beer. The only thing I did different was rehydrate the Nottingham yeast in water that ws boiled then cooled to 89 deg. I never read the back of the packet before, I usually sprinkled it on the wort dry and sealed.
Wed night I was concerned, so I sanitized my Hydrometer and took the FG, @ 65 deg it was 1.010, where I want it. I know its done, but it happened in 3 days with no airlock bubbles.

Can anyone explain this??
It smells right, and had bubbles/Krausen on top, I just haven't, in my 3 months experience, seen anything ferment this quickly, especially when I am duplicating a previous batch. Thought it would be more predictable.

Thought it was sealed well, but that could be it. How do we explain it fermenting 4 days quicker than usual?

Could have been the rehydration of the yeast. Healthier yeast, stronger start and more heat from fermentation resulting in quicker time to finish.

The fermentation fairies were well pleased with you!

(I usually leave them a thimble full of my previous brew as an offering.) :D

Here's an actual picture of the german variety!

German_Beer_Fairy_by_Corbistiger.jpg

(You can find anything on googleimage!):D

Thanks guys! All my friends love that stuff, and 5 gal/wk helps me keep up with demands. I was afraid I was going to be dry for a week

Back