When bottling, is there any benefit to avoiding aeration?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calder

Reaction score
The acid conversion is an aerobic process, so during the ferment, the scoby needs to have access to oxygen to sour the brew.

When it comes to bottling, is there any benefit to minimizing splashing and aeration, to minimize (or slow) the development of further acid. I could use a racking cane, with a screen on the inlet to prevent 'bits' getting in the bottle, but yeast should still pass through.

As you may have seen in another post, I'm thinking of adding a little sugar at bottling to get some carbonation. Minimizing carbonation, the yeast would convert the sugar to alcohol and CO2 with minimal acid development. The alcohol will be minimal, so that is not an important result.

Am I over-thinking this? Is this a stupid idea? Or is it worth the extra little effort to have the Kombucha stay stable for a longer time (before it gets too sour in the bottle)?

I've posted a few threads recently. Just trying to learn from people who have experience. Would welcome any feedback.

I make 3 quart batches with black or green tea. When done I blend in 1 quart of sweetened flavored tea then bottle. This puts mine at a carbonation level similar to beer. It's the way I like it. I'm probably aerating the heck out of it as I strain the kombucha first through a wire strainer and also I stir vigorously to mix. I fill the bottles by pouring from a pitcher. 1 year old bottles taste pretty much the same as when they were 3-4 weeks old, maybe better.

coming from the beer world, the pouring that people do drove me nuts! I bought a mini autosiphon and works fine for me, plus less mess... but after this long, i can't see an issue why, espcially when it's how well respected brewers do it.

Back