When and how to add coconut and vanilla

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustatorian

Reaction score
I have a fantastic stout recipe, hovers around 8%, with enough body to support some coconut and vanilla. I've never added either before, but would love to hear anyone's recs on how/when they should be added.

THANKS

Split and scrape vanilla bean and soak in a neutral spirit for a week or two then add that after fermentation is over or to secondary if you use one. For coconut I like to toast it lightly in the oven at 350 and rack on top of it in secondary

+1 to toasting the coconut. You can also split the vanilla bean and add it straight to secondary. Making a tincture is a little more precise though.

Split and scrape vanilla bean and soak in a neutral spirit for a week or two then add that after fermentation is over or to secondary if you use one. For coconut I like to toast it lightly in the oven at 350 and rack on top of it in secondary

What do you mean by scraping?

Split the bean up the middle (sometimes difficult) and scrape the seeds out with the knife blade. Creates kind of a paste. Add all of it into the tincture or fermenter directly. Increases surface area of the goodies so you get more flavor development.

Split the bean up the middle (sometimes difficult) and scrape the seeds out with the knife blade. Creates kind of a paste. Add all of it into the tincture or fermenter directly. Increases surface area of the goodies so you get more flavor development.

Awesome, how many do you add to a 5 gallon fermentor? How much toasted coconut would you add to the fermentor as well?

I usually start with one bean in 250 ml of bourbon or vodka for 2 weeks or directly in the fermenter. It helps to have the tincture around as it's easier to control the flavor level at packaging. I've seen good results from 4-8 oz of coconut (raw and toasted) in the fermenter or keg for as little as 3 days.

i don't know what kitchen tools you have available.. here's what I did...

in a large (16") Wok, toast unsweetened coconut until uniform tan/straw colored. soak said coconut in a large mason jar, with vodka. know this - coconut aborbs a great deal of liquid. the 8oz i used sucked up a whole pint!
i then added the drained coconut to a paint strainer bag, and into the beer it went. 5 days. know this - coconut will be very bold at first, but will quickly lose it's punch. after 2 weeks tapping the keg, the coconut flavor and smell went from very pronounced to barely perceivable.

Latest posts

Back