When adding strike water and doughing in...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnitzengiggle

Reaction score
When is the best time to check temperatures?

I normally will add about 180-185° water to my MLT to preheat. I allow the cooler to draw out some of the heat with the lid closed say 10-15 minutes, then I'll open the lid to check my water temp to see how close it is to my strike temp. Once it reaches strike temps I add my grain and stir it in and break up any doughballs, then close the lid for about 10 minutes before checking my rest temp. Normally, the temperature isn't lower than where I want it to be, but sometimes it is higher, so I'll leave the lid open and stir until I get to the desired temperature, then close the lid and wait another 10 minutes before checking the rest temperature again.

Is this good practice, or am I doing something wrong?

My temps were a bit off on my first AG batch, and I am wondering if I am opening and closing the MLT too often.

Thats what I do, but just realize that you can make/fine tune your process, I mean if you always end up a few degress higher, well maybe dough in a few degrees lower.

Back