Wheats 2124 lager yeast not started...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clankenbrew

Reaction score
So I pitched 2 swollen smack packs of this yeast into 10 gallons Saturday night about 7pm. It still hasn't started releasing co2. It's at 51*...

Any thought?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Edit... Auto correct... Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager

That is a vast under pitch, especially since you're starting at 51- MAYBE it might work starting up at 70 then cooling to lager temps, but asking ~150-200billion cells to ferment 10g at lager temps is asking a lot.
What was the OG of the wort?
How did you aerate?

The yeast may end up reproducing enough, but I'm guessing it'll stall or you'll have a lot of weird off flavors from stressing the yeast....

I make a large starter with that yeast and pitch cold, around 44-45. 2 packs for 10 gallons just isn't enough.

That's not the first time I've seen Wyeast auto-corrected to Wheats.

OG was 1.074
I know I should have done a starter but wasn't prepared so I just dumped the pouches.

I would think something would be happening by now regardless of the amount of yeast..

You could try raising the temp a degree or two or three.

Also, what was the date on the yeast? Was it fresh? If not, you have even less than you thought.

You can try to make a quick starter from another pack. I made one just this past weekend from 2124 and it was done in 24 hours. Keep your batch cold, make your starter, cool it and then pitch.

It can take a lot longer than you think when underpitched. Like others have said try raising the temperature a bit till things get going then lower.

Also airlock activity is not a good indication of fermentation.

What if the OP were to throw in a couple packs of Saflager 34/70 for a proper pitch? Different yeast for sure, but it would get the cell numbers up.

EDIT: Make that about 5 packs of 34/70 per Mr. MAlty.

I just checked the gravity and its 1.068 down from the OG of 1.074. So something happening. I would do a quick starter but the closest pack of 2124 is in New York and Im in Rhode Island. Date on package is 4/8/14

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

April yeast is getting pretty old. I'd also wonder if your reading is due to settling. I'd still have a plan B.

There are homebrew shops in Rhode Island. At least one of them must have 2124, it is pretty common.

Couldn't I open the fermenter valve and suck out some yeast and do a starter if all else fails?

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1405986327.594680.jpg

Yea.. Im hoping the guy in Wyoming RI has it. i'll call in the morning. He's closed on mondays.

2 more smack packs should do it right???

Mr Marty's pitching rate calculator says you'd need 10.4 packs for that recipe and 10 gallons.

Thanks, I'll have to straighten this out pronto... Good thing I have a bit of space in the fermentor.

Too late to make a starter. Takes 1-2 days to ferment and 3 days to clarify, since you don't want to pitch a 2 gal (or whatever) starter in a 10 gal batch. By that time, the beer should have been done fermenting. So just toss in a few packages of Saflager 34/70. It's a great yeast.

And as you may have figured out, you weren't even in the ballpark of acceptable yeast amount. Not even remotely close.

My last pilsner I used one packet of WY2124 in a half gal starter then into a 1.25gal starter (2 step starter). In a 6gal brew at 1.050, this still took 2.5 days to show strong signs of fermentation. Fermenting with re-pitched yeast cake gets a good krausen in 24hours though.

I'd chuck in a few packs of 34/70.

Brought it up to 62 and pitched some 34/70. It was working this morning so I'll slowly bring it back down to 50 over the next couple days.
Thanks for all the help

LOL, that too was a mistake. The process for dry lager yeast is to rehydrate it in warm-ish water, then cool the slurry over a half hour or so by adding cold water or wort. Then you pitch it right into the 47-54F wort.

In the meantime, my 2124 pilsner is happily bubbling away at 44℉. I made a big starter with my re-used yeast. It's a shame the OP didn't live in the NYC area, I had plenty of yeast.

Theres nothing wrong with pitching that yeast dry.
Besides... Per my recipe, it says to under pitch at a low temperature and then mess with it till it gets going good.

So far so good! SUPASTA...lol

Theres nothing wrong with pitching that yeast dry.
It's certainly NOT the best way to handle dry yeast. A lot of the yeast will perish by just tossing in the pack without rehydrating. And you should always pitch lager yeast at your desired fermentation temperature. There isn't much debate about these two points.

... Per my recipe, it says to under pitch at a low temperature and then mess with it till it gets going good.
No idea what you're trying to say, but it's never a good idea to underpitch lager yeast. If your recipe says to underpitch 2124, you have a seriously lousy recipe.

The package said its fine to pitch dry... so It's fine. Im not arguing with the manufacturer about it... You can if you like. Besides who said anything about dry wet or other???

You know exactly what I'm trying to say here in the recipe too.

You ppl have some serious sense of humor issues....
I know I screwed the pooch on this one. I did not intend to but circumstances changed and its what happened.
Its fine now... Thanks for all your help!

End of post...

Get it?

I have never figured out the directions on dry yeast packages that say to sprinkle it over the surface of the wort. But, if you go to the websites they advise you to rehydrate the yeast first.

That, and liquid yeast proper for fermenting 5 gallon batches. Almost everyone agrees that a pack/vial is only enough for low gravity recipes if the yeast is very fresh.

No idea what you're trying to say, but it's never a good idea to underpitch lager yeast. If your recipe says to underpitch 2124, you have a seriously lousy recipe.

It was a mock-take of his errors in pitching originally....meant as a joke....I don't think he really suggests underpitching and messing around with the yeast.

Back